Railroad Forums 

• NYSW 3040

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#135216  by GSP163

Anyone know what kind of horn is used on the NYSW 3040?

#135222  by ANDY117

P5 i believe. reversed 2 and 4 bells.

#138572  by David Hutchinson

Is this the unit that has the horn on top of a plate over what appears to be the engine exhaust? It's quite high.......

#139630  by ANDY117

I think most NYSW equipment has P5's. only a few alco's have K3/5's. Other than that that's all i can think of.

#140189  by Legio X

What type of locomotive is this unit?

#140279  by ANDY117

GP40 nee CSX nee C&O i think

#140388  by n01jd1

ANDY117 wrote:GP40 nee CSX nee C&O i think
It is a former CSX unit but it is not ex C&O. The 3040 has a small fuel tank and all former Chessie GP40's have the large tank. I believe its either former A&WP or former Georgia RR.

#140696  by nysw3636

ex-CR 256, ex-CSX 6652, ex-A&WP 732

ASD
 #1290978  by drlawton

3040 is a GP-40 EMD that was built in May, 1970. It started it's service with the Atlantic & West Point Railroad. It was then bought by CSX and numbered 6652. It was then acquired by the NYS&W and renumbered 3040. It is still in operation and hauls freight between Utica and Sangerfield, NY. I saw the engine and talked to the engineer in Sangerfield about a month ago, which would have been early August, 2014. The locomotive runs excellent but is showing signs of needing a paint job. The engineer told me that he thinks the line will be opened at least to Sherburne by the end of this year. There are many downed trees blocking the line south of Sangerfield due to a couple of storms blowing through earlier in the year. There is a washout on Loomis Road near Sangerfield and a bad washout in Earlville. The line south of Sherburne is very rough, and there is no word on when or if it will be opened. I would guess that they need more commerce on the line before opening the line again.
 #1490060  by ricky

i heard that nysw 3040 might be scraped for good but not 100% sure of it or it need to be fixed again