Railroad Forums 

• Leased equipment MARC/NJT/AMTK

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1400826  by NorthPennLimited

So since there is little over a month left before most of the SLV fleet will be restored to revenue service, I wanted to get out one day while the weather is nice and photograph the leased trains running around SEPTA. Particularly on the branch lines.

Does anyone know (1) how many leased train sets are on the property and (2) where they go?

Do any of the leased trains run on the Reading side?

Earlier in the week, I saw a SEPTA push-pull train come into Jefferson from Chestnut Hill West.

I know there are 2 new push-pull trains added to the schedule that run to Lansdale to ease overcrowding and provide more service frequency.

I'm interested in grabbing shots of Amtrak, NJT, and MARC trains running on the Reading side. I got a couple pics last week before the evening rush hour of the equipment at Suburban Station on 5, 6, & 7 tracks but there are too many pillars and poor lighting to get the full consist.
 #1400929  by R3 Passenger

Trains 1794 and 1763 on Trenton Line are the NJT set.

Trains 9798 and 9747 on the Trenton Line are a MARC set. I rode it last night and the HEP went out every time the train came to a full stop. This morning, it didn't even show up.
 #1400950  by rslitman

Two consecutive pm rush outbound trains on the West Trenton line on Tuesday, September 13 were push pulls, but I believe they were entirely made up of SEPTA equipment.
 #1400951  by Limited-Clear

The Amtrak equipment doesn't run on the Reading side, however you may see it go to Roberts Yard for layover before commencing a run to the Pennsy side (amfleet set goes as far as Suburban, likewise for the NJT set), some Septa sets have Marc car mixed in and those do run on the Reading side.

All this is of course subject to change as conditions prevail (I believe Amtrak told septa to keep the engines on the Pennsy side, maybe to keep them close to home should anything happen)
 #1401036  by Backshophoss

Did Septa up the voltage to 12.5 kv,25hz, on the former RDG grid or is still at 11kv,25hz?
That might be the reason Amtrak will not allow an ACS-64 on the RDG grid. :wink:
 #1401079  by glennk419

AFAIK, both Reading and Pennsy sides (WAS - NYP) are still 11KV 25Hz. The ACS-64's have already tested on the Reading side so that does not appear to be an issue.

I would tend to agree with Limited Clear that Amtrak would prefer to keep them on home rails as much as practical in case there were any hiccups.
 #1401160  by Silverliner II

Currently, there twelve push-pull sets operating on SEPTA as follows, based on observing the PM rush at 30th Street today:

Seven SEPTA Bombardier consists, with six of the sets being 6-car consists and one set being a 5-car consist.
One MARC set is a 7-car set of all-MARC equipment with cab car 7754
One MARC set is a 7-car set of six MARC coaches with a SEPTA cab car.
One MARC set is an 8-car set of seven MARC coaches with a SEPTA cab car.
One Amtrak Keystone set of the usual 5 cars.
One NJ Transit Comet set of 8 cars.

I noted 20 of the 23 MARC coaches in operation. MARC cab car 7751, and coaches 7708 and 7728 were not in operation today.

These are the MARC coaches in operation on SEPTA. Most of the IIa fleet was pulled from storage; the IIb's were from the active fleet.
MARC IIa:
Cab car 7751, 7754 (2 cars)
Trailer coach 7701, 7704-7708, 7714 (7 cars)

MARC IIb:
7716, 7719, 7721-7722, 7726, 7728-7734, 7791, 7798 (14 cars)

rslitman wrote:Two consecutive pm rush outbound trains on the West Trenton line on Tuesday, September 13 were push pulls, but I believe they were entirely made up of SEPTA equipment.
Yep. A total of three Bombardier sets are scheduled in the PM on the West Trenton Line: Trains 6348, 6352, and 6390. The first one only goes to Neshaminy Falls, and turns as Train 3553, deadheading from there to Temple U (with a side stop at Roberts Yard to wait for time out of traffic).
 #1401174  by Silverliner II

ROFLMAO!!! Well.... *goes into it and gets cut off by the commercial break* :-D :wink:
 #1401473  by Broadway

The Marc train with the Marc cab car lays over in Roberts Yard during the day, sometimes both Mark sets are in Roberts during the day. They both get a calendar day inspection at night in Powelton Yard. Where they go and come from I do not know. They come into and leave Roberts from the south end of the yard - from/to Temple Station.
 #1401504  by Silverliner II

Three more MARC cars have arrived. All cab cars.
MARC IIa: 7746, 7748
MARC IIb: 7756.

I am guessing they will relieve the SEPTA cabs on two sets.. and since that will then give us 5 MARC cabs, two will become spares.
 #1402919  by MelroseMatt

Has anyone posted links to pics of the visiting eqipment? Sorry if I missed them, I checked through a few likely threads.

thanks
 #1402960  by Silverliner II

15 of them, I hear. But with what will they run with, unless they lengthen all the Bomber sets to 8-car consists? The Sprinters aren't due till 2018, so the toasters are already all occupied...