Railroad Forums 

• Class 2 conductor/engineer looking to go to NS in GA.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1389262  by EngineerDD

Hi everyone. This is my first post...
I work for a big class 2 in Ohio. I've got 2 1/2 years in with about a year as an engineer.I run on CSX and NS lines and operate in their yards (Willard/ Bellevue) My wife and I are planning to move to Savannah,GA area and I'm looking at applying to the NS. If anyone has any input on the work down there or in Charleston, SC. Just looking for heads up if I us busy or any other details.
 #1390080  by Noel Weaver

I don't think NS has too much around Savannah or Charleston. The one place that might offer opportunity in the not too distant future would be All Aboard Florida, I don't know whether they have started hiring as yet for the operating crafts or not but it might be a chance. Things are happening all over the place around these parts and I think there is a good future for railroading around here.
Noel Weaver
 #1394636  by Congobrother

Well, NS operations in Savannah, Ga and Charleston, Sc are apart of two different districts. Savannah being on the Georgia District and Charleston being on the Piedmont District so you wouldn't be able to work out of both cities. From what I've heard, the Georgia District is a much better place to work then the Piedmont, much more business. You may want to consider working out of Macon, Ga, which has quite a few NS lines leaving out of the city (GS&F District, Brunswick District, Columbus District, Albany District, The Savannah District, The Atlanta South District, etc). There's only one NS line out of Charleston which is the SC Line from Columbia, Sc to Charleston (vice versa ) in the next few years, with the deepening of the habor and a few more auto manufacturers building as well, Charleston will be booming on the NS.
 #1395953  by EngineerDD

Thanks for the info. As of now we are planning a move to Savannah and I just need to type a resume to add to my NS profile before I can apply. I applied online to 4 GW job listing to cover my bases. I go in and out of NS Bellevue / Moorman yard in Ohio frequently and it's definitely a different environment than where I'm at now. We'll see what happens...
 #1395989  by Jeff Smith

Macon and Savannah are about 2 1/2 hours apart on I-16. Savannah is a very busy port; I'm not sure where their yard is, but I do know there's a fairly large CSX yard not far from the Amtrak station. NS has a main line from Macon to Savannah; I believe there's a small yard in Millen, but I'm not sure how it's staffed. There's a number of fairly good short lines around; there's one right here in Statesboro that interchanges with NS in Dover, GA, but I think they only have something like two employees, a conductor and an engineer. There's a line south of here that runs through Claxton, GA, and is a pretty busy line which serves an inland port in Cordele. I think that may be the Central of Georgia, or Heart of Georgia, or some such. Good luck!
 #1395991  by Jeff Smith

Also, I just thought of this, Amtrak has a crew base at their station, but I doubt it gets much turnover. Not sure about Jacksonville having a crew base or not.
 #1397041  by EngineerDD

I have 4 resumes out at some G&W lines but haven't heard anything. I figured having experience as conductor and engineer on a pretty big class 2 and operating on CSX and NS territories and yards. I also have the "all weather conditions" experience since it goes from 90s and humid right now in the summer to -20 degree wind chill in the winter. Anyone else familar with trying to tie a car down in below freezing temps?!
 #1399022  by EngineerDD

I've always been real careful in the freezing temps. I know a few guys had some cars creep away. Anyhow, I submitted my online application to NS for conductor in Savannah, GA. I was hoping to move sometime this November but I may have to wait until spring. Also sent 4 resumes to G&W RR's around Savannah area with no responses yet. It's all in God's timing, not mine. Just sucks preparing for another Ohio winter. Heard it's going to be a rough one. I thought having almost 3 years experience with a conductor and engineer card I might have heard something by now.
 #1399122  by scje953

I'm waiting to hear back on an application as well. I applied in Columbia, SC in late July, but the status is still "in process" - they posted an additional conductor position there a week or so ago. Hopefully NS HR is just dragging their feet on hiring sessions in both of our cases. Best of luck to you! Hope you get word on a session soon.