Railroad Forums 

• Cape Cod Railfanning

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1394214  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello,
Between August 25th through the 27th, I am going to be in Hyannis. Where are the best spots to railfan along the right of way? Which days and times does the trash train run on the Cape?
 #1394219  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Well, you'll most definitely want to partake a Cape Cod Central excursion and get a thorough look at all the scenery along the mainline. Schedules here: https://www.capetrain.com/about/schedule-fares/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Doesn't appear they're running any Falmouth Branch specials on those dates, but they have lots of mainline schedule slots to choose from. Passenger CCCR and freight Mass Coastal are the same company, so if you drop by CCCR headquarters right at Hyannis station they'll probably tell you the Trash Train schedule. It's usually a 3-day-a-week, mid-afternoon. CCCR's yard has an impressive collection of equipment viewable from the Hyannis Transpo Ctr. parking lot, and the former roundhouse is still there converted into a sports complex.

Yarmouth Transfer Station is only about 3 miles from downtown Hyannis on the mainline stub that continues straight past Yarmouth Jct. No bus routes immediately there so probably wouldn't be able to see the trash train switch it without a rental car. Don't know how often they serve Falmouth Transfer (at Otis AFB) any more; that's the most lightly-used of the transfer stations. All of the trash gets taken to the mainland and the trash-to-energy plant at Rochester just south of Middleboro MBTA station. Big freight yard there which the Cape Flyer passes by. Also a place where the T is storing a lot of its retired locomotives and coaches.
 #1394287  by whatelyrailfan

Hmm....Could you be a bit more specific about locations please? I've looked at Bing Maps and the only yards I've found are NORTH of the MBTA station and are in Middleboro, also are you sure that the trash-to-energy plant is in Rochester?
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1394288  by jaymac

Anyone GEarthing 141 Cranberry Highway, West Wareham, MA gets to take an aerial tour of the Covanta SEMASS generating facility, including the rail-yard. Among the sights there includes what looks to be like an RDC at the westerly end by the switch to the plant itself, at least as of the imagery date.
 #1394291  by whatelyrailfan

That's what I found when I checked it for myself (And it looks like an RDC at the end of that string of cars to me as well), but the really big yards are north/west of the Middleboro station.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1394305  by njtmnrrbuff

Thanks guys! I won't have time for Middleboro, but I will certainly fan in Hyannis. I rode the Cape Cod Central RR in 1994 and the Cape Flyer in 2013 and found the stretch of track on the Cape to be scenic.

I would like to see about being able to photograph around the yard in Hyannis. Maybe I will go over to Sandwich or W. Barnstable.
 #1394338  by jaymac

GP40MC1118 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:55 am
That's an ex-Reading/MBTA/Cape Cod Scenic RDC-1 left behind with a couple of coaches.
Thanks -- Hopefully they get a chance to roll again.
 #1394343  by Teamdriver

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Thanks guys! I won't have time for Middleboro, but I will certainly fan in Hyannis. I rode the Cape Cod Central RR in 1994 and the Cape Flyer in 2013 and found the stretch of track on the Cape to be scenic.

I would like to see about being able to photograph around the yard in Hyannis. Maybe I will go over to Sandwich or W. Barnstable.

152 Bridge St, Middleborough, MA 02346
oceanspray.com

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ocean ... 70.9115362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1394508  by Bill Reidy

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I would like to see about being able to photograph around the yard in Hyannis. Maybe I will go over to Sandwich or W. Barnstable.
The Cape Cod Chapter, NRHS will have the West Barnstable depot open Saturday the 27th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Hyannis-bound CapeFLYER should pass by about 9.50 - 10 a.m. or so, and the Cape Cod Central excursion train to the canal and back stops at 11.55 and 2.55. The depot has been nicely restored, as well. It's located on Route 149.
 #1398496  by njtmnrrbuff

I am in Hyannis as I type this. Either tomorrow or Sat, I might want to see if I can request taking pictures of what is in the Cape Cod Central RR Yard. If I ask at the Central RR depot, do you think they would say yes?
 #1398509  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They might not let you deep inside the yard to walk around because it's an active shop with active yard movements for both CCCR and Mass Coastal freight equipment. But I'm sure they get that question every single day and have a ready answer as to the best photo spots. I've heard nothing but great things about the staff there when it comes to dealing with everyone from train-curious kids to seasoned railfans, so strike up a conversation and see where it gets you.

The yard isn't buffered on any side by many trees so there's wide-open views:

1) from the bus terminal parking lot on the west side (right next to the engine house if you want closer look at the locos)
2) couple spots on Yarmouth Rd. on the east side (few more trees, but as you can see it's got frequent openings)
3) parking lot for the sports/entertainment complex inside the old roundhouse on the northwest side (good also for getting pics of the roundhouse structure)
4) parking lot of DJ's Family Sports Pub in the old depot building on Yarmouth Rd. near the Route 28 intersection (the RDC is often parked behind DJ's at end of one of the tail tracks)

Can't see too much from the Route 28 grade crossing that doesn't have a better view from DJ's, so should be able to get every shot that's worth taking by walking up and down a 1500 ft. stretch of west-side parking lots and east-side Yarmouth Rd. + parking lots.
 #1398522  by njtmnrrbuff

Thanks. I see that there is a fence separating the right of way with the bus terminal, at least the section where the buses pick up and drop off people. Where in the bus station lot can I get a good view of the engines?

I plan to take morning photographs tomorrow of the yard from where DJ's is and of the Cape Flyer and excursion train departing.
 #1398624  by MickD

Another place you might try is the lot on the immediate
opposite side of the tracks from Kam Appliances.It's a straight shot
view of the yard for arriving & departing trains..
I work about a 1/4 of a mile from that crossing..