Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in the White Mountains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1388607  by drvmusic

Hi All,

Other than the scenic railroads (CSRR, Hobo, Clark's, Cog), is there anywhere in the White Mountain region (near Lincoln or North Conway or points in between) that are good for spotting freight traffic or Amtrak traffic? I'm going up there soon with my son, and would like to see if we can spot any commercial rail traffic in addition to the tourist trains.

#1388633  by MinutemanMaroon

Not much to be had unfortunately, New Hampshire Central runs occasionally in the Whitefield - North Stratford area and St. Lawrence and Atlantic runs road freights on the old Grand Trunk line between Shelburne and North Stratford, but I believe those are at night. No Amtrak up that way
 #1388638  by drvmusic

MinutemanMaroon wrote:Not much to be had unfortunately, New Hampshire Central runs occasionally in the Whitefield - North Stratford area and St. Lawrence and Atlantic runs road freights on the old Grand Trunk line between Shelburne and North Stratford, but I believe those are at night. No Amtrak up that way
I figured that would be the case. I asked in Gorham once (where I took my profile pic), and the one on the old Grand Trunk Line typically runs at something like 1 or 2 in the morning, so no chance there.

Appreciate the info!