Railroad Forums 

• Departure times from Fresh Pond

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1384312  by elyle

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before but I couldn't find the info on here anywhere...

I'm wondering when trains to Oak Point generally leave Fresh Pond and how long they take to reach Hell's Gate.

I'm hoping to get some good pics of NY&A locomotives on the bridge.

And do they run Oak Point bound trains every day?
 #1384629  by csx8851

CSX makes the run to Oak Point, not NYA, so you will see "big blue" on the bridge. They run Monday to Friday 5-9am round trip, and Saturdays a little later say.. 9am to 12pm round trip. From FP, the crew reaches the bridge in under 25 minutes.
 #1385836  by DogBert

On a similar subject - when do NY&A freights leave fresh pond heading EAST to LI?

I spotted one friday morning, through forest park at 9am. It had 2 mp15s, empty covered hoppers, and empty C&D cars. The hoppers were dropped off at richmond hill.
 #1387045  by freightguy

The RS40 is pretty reliable Mon-Fri mid morning heading out to the Central Branch. RS-80 is also relatively predictable heading to Farmingdale(PW)Mon-Fri at night. Pineaire is really busy but those times and trains may vary with most of the work being performed during the night hours with a train heading East and West out of there. I guess some extras during the day and weekend moves also.
 #1387138  by kevinli52

How many cars go east during the week on the freights?

Asking for my Uncle who use to work in freight years ago. He had written asking "I wonder how big a drag. Up to the mid 80's we put a 70-80 car freight up the main line (setoff at Hicksville) from Yard A to Pineaire every night Sunday thru Thursday. During coal season at Kings Park, regularly put 32 cars (8 Samson Paper bag, 16 coal for the hospital, 8 salt cars to Suffolk Mining at Setauket) up the Port Jeff.
You probably remember during the 60's in February and March on the Main Line 100 car trains of seed potatoes three times a week to Riverhead and local stations.. Conductor Sarter Cafarelli, engineer "Silent Tom" would have to cut the train five times in Riverhead to clear the crossings.

Thanks for any help.
 #1387244  by ccutler

I can tell you that I see the connecting train that crosses Hell Gate bridge runs 40 to 100 cars, and half those cars are for NYC customers. So the NYAR drags are nowhere near what your uncle remembers. The biggest mainline commodity is construction debris, and much of the freight goes to/from the facility in Yaphank.

However, seasonally the stone trains run and you might see some long trains from that activity.

I'm sure more specific answers will follow...
 #1390847  by rr503

Does RS50 still run to pineaire every night? Is it based out of pineaire or FP?
What is the symbol of the job that covers the Lower Montauk/Bushwick? Have they added a new train to cover WM?
Also, what is NY&A up to from 7-10am and 4-7pm on weekdays? I want to go do some railfanning, and I that's when I can make it.
Lastly, which trains run on weekends?
Sorry for all the questions!!!
 #1391008  by DogBert

IDK the symbol but there is a new run from fresh pond to blissville every weeknight to pick up the loaded cars. Usually runs around 8-11pm. Sometimes they switch wheelspur, though the customers there and maspeth seem to be as-needed. Is it the rs41 crew that sometimes goes to maspeth in the afternoon?

The empties for both bliss and bush seem to be dropped off at different times, I suspect early in the day when the yard crew is breaking down the CSX inbounds.

In that 7-10am time frame you can likely catch the 40 heading towards the island. Saw them at forest park once a few weeks ago around 8am. From what I've read here it seems to be the most consistent daytime run.