Railroad Forums 

• "Official" Hoosac Valley Railroad Service (BSRM) Topic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1369623  by Otto Vondrak

2016 Schedule has been posted:

http://hoosacvalleytrainride.com/schedule.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1369645  by highrail

Thanks Otto!

ALSO...watch for Mass Bay RRE trip on this line in early April...I am not certain, but perhaps April 9th. There was a flyer at the Springfield show. There will likely be 2 trips that date. The web site for MBRRE has not yet been updated, but keep an eye on it for updates:

http://www.massbayrre.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
 #1386415  by Benjamin Maggi

I wasn't able to make it to the BSR last year when they ran their trains, so I am going this Saturday. I plan to ride one train and take pictures of another run. However, I am unfamiliar with the area and want to get a map so that I will know the roads. But... I don't know if the train departs the station heading west, heading east, or heading south to Adams. I assume it heads south.

Where does the train stop and turn around? Are there any roads nearby that area?

Thanks.
 #1386729  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, Sarah and I rode the train on Saturday. It was fun, but not what we expected. The train is pretty secluded in the woods and you cannot see too much, but it was a nice quiet ride. One the downside:

1.) It was HOT. VERY HOT. It is only May, but riding in the RDC with no air conditioning, or the ability to open windows, led to most people on our train ride being very uncomfortable. People were visibly sweating. No water was sold on the train, which would have helped. Waiting for the train, there wasn't a "station" of sorts so people gathered in line on the ballast in whatever shade could be found. I bet the trip is wonderful in the fall, but I cannot recommend it in the summer unless they get the A/C working on the car. The only breeze came when the train was moving through the front and rear door, but it just isn't enough. An open riding car would help a lot. I cannot imagine what it will be like in July, or when the humidity is up.

2.) A conductor read from a script about the things we were passing by as the train rolled along. It was nice, but it was hard to hear, even though the entire train is one car long! The speakers need to be turned up. BUT... he also read for nearly the entire trip. Without stopping. It was just a wall of noise that we tried to tune out as we wanted to talk on the train, not listen to someone read something for 80 minutes or so. On the return trip, it seemed like (from the bits and pieces we could make out) that he was just reading the paper in reverse. Some interesting commentary is nice, but it needs to be cut back and louder.

I hope they do well. Perhaps we will return in the fall when the leaves change colors. That would be really nice I bet.
 #1386837  by JRG

Mr. Maggi:

First, let me thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated and as with any new operations, feedback from our guests is vital to improving the quality of it.

Second, let me address your concerns:

Time and weather were not fully cooperative for launching this new tourist train ride experience. Our mechanical forces prioritized other mechanical systems to provide a reliable and safe ride. As we have time and funding, the remaining systems that need work will be addressed. The RDC's air conditioning system is original and we are deliberately taking our time doing research and seeking resources to be sure the system can be safely restored to full operating condition - not many people are familiar with a 1955 Safety Car Air Conditioning System. We are about 50% there; we didn't expect to have 90+ weather in May in the Berkshires. We apologize for the discomfort and hope to have the A/C system up and running soon.

As a result of the train rides being located 30 minutes from our HQ, our volunteer core has also shifted. Most of our operating volunteers, including the ones who were on duty on the day you rode, are new to train operations. Their dedication runs deep, but they need experience and additional time to hone their skills, including timing of the narration, recognizing passenger needs (water on a hot day) and other aspects of the operation.

As we obtain operational data, time, funding and experience, we will sharpen and improve not only the performance of our all volunteer crew but also the quality of the experience - this includes the physical facilities which are jointly being developed by our project partners.

Thank you for riding with us, for your feedback and your support - it is appreciated!!!
 #1387181  by BandA

I did a google search, didn't come up with RDC air conditioning, but they filed in 1953 a patent for air conditioning system specifically for dome cars that shows they were innovating. https://www.google.com/patents/US2794383

Windows. For a commuter car, you want to shut out the outside noise. On a tourist line that runs in the nice weather you want to connect with the outside, hear the clackity-clack, smell the air. It's too bad you can't retrofit windows that open. Or can you?
 #1387536  by Otto Vondrak

BandA wrote:Windows. For a commuter car, you want to shut out the outside noise. On a tourist line that runs in the nice weather you want to connect with the outside, hear the clackity-clack, smell the air. It's too bad you can't retrofit windows that open. Or can you?
Every time a Budd sealed-window is replaced with a retro-fitted sliding window, a unicorn dies.

-otto-
 #1387537  by Otto Vondrak

Benjamin Maggi wrote:I wasn't able to make it to the BSR last year when they ran their trains, so I am going this Saturday. I plan to ride one train and take pictures of another run. However, I am unfamiliar with the area and want to get a map so that I will know the roads. But... I don't know if the train departs the station heading west, heading east, or heading south to Adams. I assume it heads south.

Where does the train stop and turn around? Are there any roads nearby that area?

Thanks.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I would have directed you to the map published on the HVS web site.

http://hoosacvalleytrainride.com/about.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1395692  by JRG

As an update, the Safety Car Air Conditioning System has been restored to service with minimal work needed. Another testament to the way this Country used to build things. The system works well, but does have a tendency to get overwhelmed in the afternoon sun with heat load on the car.
 #1446219  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Look, ma! Brand new railroad. :-D

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=1&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From NERail, PAS MOW dumping ballast onto the new Adams Branch extension into downtown, on the first train south of Cook St. in over 25 years. Line is now activated to the new end-of-track at Hoosac St., where rails were laid earlier in the week.