Railroad Forums 

• West-of-Deerfield Gawking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1384865  by 690

How about we wait to hear the actual cause of the derailment instead of guessing?
 #1384873  by MEC407

If we wait to hear, we might wait forever. Or the publicly-released information might be very vague (e.g., "a track defect"). PAR generally releases as little info as possible, as we all know.

From a forum moderation standpoint, I'm fine with members having general discussions of possible causes, as long as they're not declaring any of those possibilities to be facts in this particular incident. Likewise, if a member has information that they've received from a reliable source and they want to share it, that's fine too... but only if they've received it directly from the source. "I heard it from a fellow railfan who heard it from another railfan who heard it from the deputy fire chief who heard it from a MoW worker" is not reliable.
 #1384876  by johnpbarlow

690 wrote:How about we wait to hear the actual cause of the derailment instead of guessing?
I think we are discussing the possibilities of what could have happened which I think is a perfectly reasonable activity for discussion forum such railroad.net. And AFAIK, the NTSB isn't on the scene to do a formal investigation. And I doubt that NS or Pan Am will issue a press release stating root cause. The only entity who is likely to ultimately know root cause is the Pan Am track maintenance and repair organization. So I think the only way we as a group will come to understand what happened is via an informal discussion of what we can see photographically, perhaps annotated by anonymous people in the know.

BTW, did I read somewhere that track geometry equipment is schedule to make a run over PAS in the next few weeks?
 #1384887  by newpylong

The previous train derailed and rerailed itself they think causing damage which caused 22K's derailment. As to what that damage was, still unknown. I've seen trains derailed for long distances clip spike heads off...

There is also an MBTA crane onsite. 1 more car to get back on from the West end and they are done. Track crew leaving 402 to get started repairs.

Oh yeah and the 2nd and 3rd NS engines did derail and have decent damage, so... they knew pretty quick. Otherwise I think at 25 MPH it could have been much worse.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon May 16, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1384889  by jaymac

...and that could account for what seemed like rolled rail in some pictures.
 #1384979  by johnpbarlow

I have no proof but I'm guessing that D3 is open for business this morning? Last night a combined pair of 28N trains that had been waiting on the Tier apparently made it as far as Mechanicville and I'm hearing Yardmaster-22K crew chatter at Binghamton at this moment as well. NS did publish an intermodal service alert on its web site:

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... pdate.html

If I understand correctly:
- 22K-13 is the train that wandered off the tracks
- 23K-14 is the train with the Erie heritage unit NS1068 that was marooned at Millers Falls
- 22K-14 was detoured over CSX between Buffalo and Worcester(?)
- 22K-15 is the train I hear puttering around Binghamton (?)

Also I don't know the status of 532 coal train which has been parked in front of the DL&W station for a couple of days or any 11R/14R trains for that matter.

Hopefully life is getting back to normal on D3!
 #1384998  by BostonUrbEx

johnpbarlow wrote:- 22K-14 was detoured over CSX between Buffalo and Worcester(?)
You've got these backwards. There was a 22K already in to Binghamton when things shut down, so the -14 canned and -15 was rerouted.
 #1385036  by johnpbarlow

BostonUrbEx wrote:
johnpbarlow wrote:- 22K-14 was detoured over CSX between Buffalo and Worcester(?)
You've got these backwards. There was a 22K already in to Binghamton when things shut down, so the -14 canned and -15 was rerouted.
That's why there were question marks! But the derailment occurred late Saturday afternoon (5/14/16) and 22k departs Binghamton quite regularly at dawn meaning the next Ayer intermodal 22K-14 would have been west of Buffalo at the time 22K-13 went off the rails. Plus I've read elsewhere that the 22K's (22K-14?) detour on CSX originated in Buffalo so I'm not sure what is correct here.
 #1387297  by newpylong

Today is AD-1s last trip to Bennington. From now on all eastbound traffic will go via Bellows Falls. Unknown if CSX traffic will continue this way or also move over. Probably the end of AD-2.
 #1387298  by B&M 1227

uhhh april fools?!?!