Railroad Forums 

• Those Little Blue Signs

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1376740  by trainsinmaine

About six months ago I began noticing small blue signs attached to the crossbucks at crossings on the Montreal, Maine and Atlantic. They contain a message to the effect that if anyone observes anything that is an emergency, or warrants investigation, to phone such-and-such a number. At first I thought these were limited only to the MMA, but now I'm seeing them everywhere. Are these the result of some new law?
 #1376780  by Ken W2KB

trainsinmaine wrote:About six months ago I began noticing small blue signs attached to the crossbucks at crossings on the Montreal, Maine and Atlantic. They contain a message to the effect that if anyone observes anything that is an emergency, or warrants investigation, to phone such-and-such a number. At first I thought these were limited only to the MMA, but now I'm seeing them everywhere. Are these the result of some new law?
Probably this FRA regulation adopted in 2012, with an up to 5 year implementation period. https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... on-systems
 #1376852  by MEC407

Yup, they're all over Pan Am too.
 #1377171  by RRFAN

I have seen them all along the NHCR line from grovton to Whitefield, NH. They were not there when MEC 52 was running on the NHCR.
 #1377247  by NHV 669

They come in pretty handy for calling in a crossing malfunction, like the one I observed in January on the SLR in Locke's Mills. Certainly beats having bells going off all night, and no idea who to call to shut them off.
 #1377311  by RRFAN

Rockingham Racer wrote:
RRFAN wrote:They also have them on the line from hazen to fabyens.
Like Otto said: they're all over the country.
I know, but to see them in that line is kinda weird. They only have one train go through there a year and they have a guy with a flag to protect it. I was just saying what I saw.
 #1377315  by 690

It's still an active crossing. On Pan Am, even the little farm crossings out in Clinton and other places have the signs added.