Railroad Forums 

• Sayre

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1374964  by Train Detainer

A few pics from spring 1976, IIRC. Anyone know why the space/track configuration between the East Leader and W/B main next to the W/B cab track?
Sayre6.jpg
Sayre5.jpg
Sayre4.jpg
 #1374966  by Train Detainer

A few more....
Sayre1.jpg
Sayre3.jpg
Sayre 2.jpg
 #1374985  by TB Diamond

Reference the space mentioned in the first post:

There was, according to a photo I took in July, 1949 view to the west from the Lockhart Street Pedestrian Overpass, a track that went straight through the space with a short line of poles compass north of the track.
 #1375329  by johnpbarlow

Train Detainer wrote:A few pics from spring 1976, IIRC. Anyone know why the space/track configuration between the East Leader and W/B main next to the W/B cab track?
Based on the historic postcard and photos found on line, it looks like this open area may have been a couple of pocket tracks that may have been useful in switching passenger cars and locomotives for the Black Diamond and/or Maple Leaf?

http://railroadpostcards.blogspot.com/2 ... alley.html

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... b6f505.jpg

IIRC, in the '50s, the Black Diamond often (always?) used to swap out one of its two PAs at Sayre for servicing at the shop.
 #1375452  by Train Detainer

Thanks for those old pics. Lots of track reconfiguring at some point. Now I know why there's such a sharp bend in the East Leader. It does look like the pocket track was used for swapping cars at least, as the East Leader and pocket tie directly to the WB main right there west of the bridge (with a very sharp turnout on the WB main). I don't know about engine swaps later on, but it seems to me that the newer configuration would be just as easy to swap engines directly from the service track lead instead of going further up into the yard. The pole line TB referenced may have been for caboose battery charging power.
 #1375487  by TB Diamond

Reference my earlier post: In the photo mentioned, at least one caboose is on the track that still bends away from MT1 along the pole line. May have been additional, but the lens on my Kodak Baby Brownie Special was not all that sharp.
 #1422390  by Matt Langworthy

Nice shots, gents! These photos bring back fond memories of Sayre in the 1970s. My maternal grandmother lived in Waverly, so my parents would swing through Sayre to indulge my interest in RRing. We also ate at Mangialardo's on occasion, which was/is across the street from the yard. While I'm glad there is still some activity in Sayre today, it's not as good as it was back in the day.