Railroad Forums 

• Presque Isle Airport trackage

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1374784  by boatbuilder

Looking in the area by the Presque Isle Airport I see a small branch line with several industrial sidings along it. Does anyone have any info on it such as branch name and some of the customers etc?

Thanks for any help!
 #1374797  by AVR Mark

I can't say what any current shippers there may be, but this is the former AVR (Aroostook Valley Railroad) trackage that served the former Presque Isle Air Force Base which closed down in the late 1950s or early 1960s. There are several businesses located in former Air Force Hanger buildings, and I have seen covered hoppers and lumber carrying cars such as center beam types along with whatever is in 50 foot box cars. There used to be a plywood plant there, but I think it has been gone for 20 + years. The government paid to have a line built from the (former BAR) tracks to connect to the AVR tracks when the AVR decided to go out of business. All the rest of the former AVR tracks were pulled up shortly after the RR shut down.

Mark
 #1374832  by Cowford

Among the shippers while AVR was still hanging on (going by memory here): an International Paper box plant, a plant that had kilns for dehydrating potatoes (if memory serves, it went into pig feed), Columbia Forest Products (veneer plant) and I want to say there was a location for loading oats.
 #1374833  by SemperFidelis

I think there was a plywood plant there that came online as part of the economic development of the airport after the Air Force closed it as an air base.

Just reread the thread and somene else already posted that, my bad.

One of the tracks seems to lead to an aviation fuel tank. It is unlikely, but maybe they bring in Avgas or Jet fuel by rail. I'll call the FBO or the airport operator tomorrow, find out, and post it. I'll also call the economic development people who run the industrial park and post whatever info they have.
 #1374879  by SemperFidelis

Working on getting a solid answer as to who is still using rail, but this list of businesses aboard the airfield/industrial park-

http://www.appme.org/facilities/skyway.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-combined with what we know as railfans about the types of businesses that tend to utilize rail service will probably lead us to some accurate conclusions.
 #1375022  by fogg1703

Here is a list of active and not active shippers on the spur starting from BAR's Long Yard.

International Paper (not active)
CMP Pole unloading on IP/Tater Meal Spur (was active until MMA days, not sure during MNR)
Tater Meal (not active)
Spur to dormant intermodal facility
MPG Oil unloading (not active, last used during BAR) Tank still standing at intersection of Central Dr/Cross St
MPG Oat loading (not active, last used by BAR) Same siding as MPG Oil facility. Used portable screw auger. Loading moved to Fairmont siding in Fort Fairfiled in 2011
Northeast Packaging (not active, last used during BAR)
Northeast printing on west leg of wye (Active until MMA days)
Columbia Forest Veneer Plywood plant two sidings (active-hardwood logs from VT dating back to CP days)

This is not a comprehensive list, just off the top of my head. My notes are buried somewhere, Ill have to dig them up.
 #1375185  by Sir Ray

fogg1703 wrote:Tater Meal (not active)
Even more than not active, the building itself was torn down in 2015 - there's an article about this on-line, McCain (the owner of Tater Meal since 1984) felt the building was too far gone to restore (for use by another industrial concern), so they requested and were granted permission to demolish it.
It is a bit amusing to look at the Google street view, the views from slightly north of the parking lot are from 2007 and show the building, the view from slightly south of the parking lot are from 2015 and show the now empty lot.