Railroad Forums 

• Myrtle Beach area Railfanning

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1264370  by GE45tonner

Heading down to Myrtle Beach for a week. Did a quick scope of the area railfan-wise and the city's only shortline is inactive. Anyone know of any good railfanning spots within about an hours radius? I know that CSX has the main line through Dillon and another splits off towards Charleston, but what are some specific spots and times to see some trains (passenger or freight)?

Thanks!!
 #1264887  by lvrr325

Probably best bet would be around Florence, there's a yard, Amtrak, and when I was last in town it seemed pretty busy, I went to the Florence Flea Market which is close to the tracks and heard several trains - on a Sunday morning.

There's a bridge over one end of the yard with big sidewalks, too.

You're also not far from the South Carolina Central shortline, which runs through Darlington and Hartsville.
 #1379069  by lvrr325

RJ Corman finally had a move on April 6th, picking up a formerly stranded empty center beam flat and also picking up CALA 100 (GP18/ex Rock), but it's from a newspaper piece so it doesn't indicate where anything went.

Not clear to me what's happened to their other engines. The former NKP GP18 was cut up in 2014, also was a former MEC GP38 and former SOU GP30 on the property. Can't find any pictures later than mid-2014. I'm sure the GP38 is still around, it was running, GP30 appeared to be out of service at that time.
 #1379133  by RockGp40

lvrr325 wrote: The former NKP GP18 was cut up in 2014, also was a former MEC GP38 and former SOU GP30 on the property. Can't find any pictures later than mid-2014. I'm sure the GP38 is still around, it was running, GP30 appeared to be out of service at that time.
The SOU GP30 was scrapped. Another one of the GPs also got the torch. The three GP38s on the property and the old Baltimore and Annapolis SW were spared. I'm guessing they will get shipped out for overhaul, new paint, and put back to work elsewhere on their system.
 #1381256  by lvrr325

RockGp40 wrote: The SOU GP30 was scrapped. Another one of the GPs also got the torch. The three GP38s on the property and the old Baltimore and Annapolis SW were spared. I'm guessing they will get shipped out for overhaul, new paint, and put back to work elsewhere on their system.
Well that's a shame. Did Corman buy the locomotives with the railroad?
 #1404445  by Flat-Wheeler

How did the Myrtle Beach area cope with the storm surge flood & high winds from Hurricane Matthew ??? Anyone have any information yet ?