Railroad Forums 

• Mystery Crossing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1373362  by Ridgefielder

I've actually never been in Palmer-- it's a bit of a hike from my neck of the woods. Definitely want to get there one of these days, but it will have to be as part of some larger excursion... tough to sell the wife on the idea of skipping out for a weekend to go there... :wink:
 #1373715  by trainsinmaine

Ridgefielder wrote:I've actually never been in Palmer-- it's a bit of a hike from my neck of the woods. Definitely want to get there one of these days, but it will have to be as part of some larger excursion... tough to sell the wife on the idea of skipping out for a weekend to go there... :wink:
Palmer is the New England railfan's Mecca. Before you go (and you must --- the Steaming Tender is great, and the building alone is well worth seeing), be sure to check their website first to make sure they're open. Then, when you make the trip, stop at the town library and visit their railroad resource room(!), which is full of RR books, videos, and information about local RR history (of which there is a great deal --- they don't call it "The Town of Seven Railroads" for nothing). There's also Palmer Hobbies, the successor to Bob Buck's great old Tucker's Hobbies store in Warren, which is a wonderful hobby shop, located near the Steaming Tender downtown on Route 20. After you're done with that, drive up to Thorndike and Three Rivers and look for the vestiges of the ill-fated Hampden Railroad, which are easy to find.

A great way to spend a day.
 #1374035  by citystation1848

Just sharing a similar image to what was originally posted. My image was also marked CT River Main Line... good to have the confirmation of its location!

Matt

http://www.nashuacitystation.org/resource/9304015220/
 #1374039  by trainsinmaine

Wow! Same spot, different day, ever-so-slightly different angle.

Looking at this, it has occurred to me that this would make a beautiful painting.
 #1374286  by FLRailFan1

trainsinmaine wrote:Wow! Same spot, different day, ever-so-slightly different angle.

Looking at this, it has occurred to me that this would make a beautiful painting.
It would be beautiful as a painting in the fall...