Railroad Forums 

• System Track Schematic

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1371542  by Sand Box John

I have added a new map to the collection of track schematics.

The new map is a scale map of the WMATA 129 mile Area Regional System using the Google My map function.

Besides showing the alignment of the routes, connectors, yard lead and yards it also shows the location of the stations and most importantly the location of the stations in subway.
 #1372116  by Sand Box John

"wrivlin"
What is the map with the black background?

Schematic based on the model board presently being used in the Rail Operation Control Center.

Goggle will only render the image to 16,383 X 319 the original is 19,200 X 900. In the original 6 pixels = 100' along the horizontal lines.
 #1372153  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Great drawing,

Couple of small items I noticed:

There is no interlocking at C09 & C11(yet)

Interlocking at E05 (inbound) is missing
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Remove immediately preceding/nesting quotes
 #1372166  by wrivlin

I wish Metro would have a live feed of the data from model board available online. Especially since they're facing criticism for not sharing data with developers, it would make a lot of sense.
 #1372261  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"
Great drawing,

Couple of small items I noticed:

There is no interlocking at C09 & C11(yet)

Interlocking at E05 (inbound) is missing

You are correct on all counts.

Corrected version.

"wrivlin"
I wish Metro would have a live feed of the data from model board available online. Especially since they're facing criticism for not sharing data with developers, it would make a lot of sense.

Wouldn't be that difficult. WMATA has had system map on their Intranet for some years now that show the train number, direction and location of trains, it looks like this.

If you happen to know a friendly station manager he / she might open it up in the web browser on the computer in the kiosk.
 #1395029  by Sand Box John

System Track Schematic revision.

WMATA Comprehensive 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic

The revisions made are signal, turnout and track numbers in yards not shown or were incorrect, hand throw switch stand on former Southern Railway interchange track and twin platform at Potomac Yard.

Others in collection at picasaweb.google.com/.../TrackSchematics.

Follow the direction in the captions to render the full size image.
 #1395072  by smallfire85

Looks good, SBJ. A really minor comment: I'm not sure if you were looking to accurate with the subterranean crossings, but track L1 crosses under F1 and F2 going into L'Enfant due to the crossing under the Washington Channel. You can see the track rising to the interlocking from the lead car of a Yellow line train. Surprised the heck outta me when I actually checked out the area.
 #1395079  by Sand Box John

"smallfire85"
Looks good, SBJ. A really minor comment: I'm not sure if you were looking to accurate with the subterranean crossings, but track L1 crosses under F1 and F2 going into L'Enfant due to the crossing under the Washington Channel. You can see the track rising to the interlocking from the lead car of a Yellow line train. Surprised the heck outta me when I actually checked out the area.

A friend of mine once point out "John has probably forgotten more then most will ever know". Errors noted by other for correction always appreciated. Correction made, Thank you.

WMATA Comprehensive 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic
 #1410211  by Sand Box John

System Track Schematic revision.

I have update the schematic base on observations I made on 10 02 2016 and did some error correction and added other things based on documents recently acquired.

PGN format: 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (701 KB)

For those that want to view it in DXF format: 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (43.4 MB)
 #1410255  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:System Track Schematic revision.

I have update the schematic base on observations I made on 10 02 2016 and did some error correction and added other things based on documents recently acquired.

PGN format: 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (701 KB)

For those that want to view it in DXF format: 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (43.4 MB)
I love looking at these. Several thoughts/questions: First, I had no idea the Alexandria yard was that large. I pass it both on rails and on the road, and its size is deceptive. Second, I knew Dulles was big but I did not realize both HOW big but also how it is still not a gargantuan yard. Do we know if Metro has acquired surrounding land so that it can expand the yard if Metro ever decided to close a smaller yard? Third, why was Glenmont such a small yard? I assume, naturally, that they built it as big as necessary and with whatever funds were appropriate...but it seems like that would have been a good spot to build a decently sized yard.
 #1410285  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

I love looking at these. Several thoughts/questions: First, I had no idea the Alexandria yard was that large. I pass it both on rails and on the road, and its size is deceptive. Second, I knew Dulles was big but I did not realize both HOW big but also how it is still not a gargantuan yard. Do we know if Metro has acquired surrounding land so that it can expand the yard if Metro ever decided to close a smaller yard? Third, why was Glenmont such a small yard? I assume, naturally, that they built it as big as necessary and with whatever funds were appropriate...but it seems like that would have been a good spot to build a decently sized yard.

The only numbers that are really important are the storage and servicing capacities. The storage capacity numbers are not the true capacity of the yards as most of the shop tracks are long enough to hold 2 or 4 cars.

A99 168, 18
B99 86, 18
B98 132
C99 176, 12
D99 114, 18
E99 288, 12
F99 166, 4
K99 188, 16
N99 224, 12

Dulles Yard is unique in that all of the storage tracks can hold one 8 car train. Most of the rest of the yards have tracks of varying lengths that are long enough to hold from 8 to 10 cars. Greenbelt Yard is unique in that all of the storage tracks can hold two 8 car trains. A couple of the yards have several tracks that are less then 8 cars long.

Closing a smaller yard is likely never going to happen, WMATA has long term plans for New Carrollton by utilizing the land beyond the tail tracks and moving the maintenance of way facility to Landover to add storage capacity, At Shady Grove plans call for installing storage tracks inside the north loop. Glenmont plans call for building a shop between the Maintenance of way tracks and storage track 1. Six servicing bays were added at Brentwood several years ago.
 #1413337  by JDC

Figured it made sense to post this here because it relates to my earlier comment about the empty land to the east of the Alexandria Yard. It definitely cannot be used for expansion now, because at least two high rise buildings are now under construction on that parcel of property. I drove by to fast to read the sign, but it may be 2 commercial or 2 residential towers, or a mixed use development.

Browsing the web just now, I found an article about the project:
http://patch.com/virginia/oldtownalexan ... nstruction