Railroad Forums 

• Manchester-Lawrence still in use (Freight Discussion)?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1367640  by Jackinbox1

I personally do think so, but I'm glad your respectful of opinions.
 #1367870  by newpylong

Jackinbox1 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I know this thread isn't about debating facts or anything, so I'll just leave this here.

Populations

Salem, NH - 28,776
Windham, NH - 13,592
Derry, NH - 33,109
Londonderry, NH - 24,129
TOTAL: 96,606

Nashua, NH - 87,259
Merrimack, NH - 25,494
Bedford, NH - 21,203
TOTAL: 133,956

This is the main problem with the NH Main?
what i meant was "Problem with NH Main in consideration with our current discussion, the M&L" The NH Main is a great place for CR, but it doesn't serve M&l communities.
If you want to be able to walk down the block and hop on, move to MA. All of the towns along the M&L are a managable distance from a restored NH Division or even Haverhill line. There is no money for it.
 #1368269  by CRail

newpylong wrote:If you want to be able to walk down the block and hop on, move to MA. All of the towns along the M&L are a managable distance from a restored NH Division or even Haverhill line. There is no money for it.
People from Massachusetts have been moving into that region to get away from Massachusetts only to turn it into Massachusetts for decades. There are massive transportation upgrades going on in that region because of the exploding population. Of course there's money for it.
 #1368279  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NHDOT just raided its bridge repair fund to help pay for the I-93 widening, so they most definitely are not rolling in money despite the population increases. They're up to their eyeballs in infrastructure funding shortfalls, enough to have made the short-sighted executive decision to enter into massive deferred maintenance for the sake of one megaproject and let the next generation figure out how to dig out from it. Surely a sound strategy based on the long-term results from neighboring states that attempted the same. They'll be staring at 2 decades of pulling out of a hole at twice the price because of one decade of deferrals on a lot of old bridges and chewed-up roads. Where exactly is that revenue going to come from when costs are rising much faster than population? New taxes?...in New Hampshire???
 #1368298  by Rockingham Racer

CRail wrote:
newpylong wrote:If you want to be able to walk down the block and hop on, move to MA. All of the towns along the M&L are a managable distance from a restored NH Division or even Haverhill line. There is no money for it.
People from Massachusetts have been moving into that region to get away from Massachusetts only to turn it into Massachusetts for decades. There are massive transportation upgrades going on in that region because of the exploding population. Of course there's money for it.
Being a former native of that area, I would be very interested to know more specifics on the massive transportation upgrades. Are you talking public transit, or highways?
 #1368299  by Rockingham Racer

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:...... Where exactly is that revenue going to come from when costs are rising much faster than population? New taxes?...in New Hampshire???
No problem, there. Just raise the meal, hotel and rental car taxes. Hits the tourists more than the residents. :wink:
 #1368331  by MEC407

Residents there don't eat out?
 #1368344  by newpylong

NHV 669 wrote:A resort that's been dead close to five years (The Balsams) can get almost $30 million in a snap from the governor....... anything's possible to fund these days.

No, the State (Business Finance Authority) is merely guaranteeing the loan between the developer and the bank. If they default, the state gets the assets. It is not the same as directly loaning them the money and surely a different realm than commuter rail funding.
 #1368476  by CRail

Rockingham Racer wrote:Being a former native of that area, I would be very interested to know more specifics on the massive transportation upgrades. Are you talking public transit, or highways?
You can't be a former native, you're either a native or you aren't. 93 is a big one, Boston Express service, Route 3 in MA is another (serves the Nashua region), funding to NNEPRA, expression in freight rail interest (F-Line will try and convince you that an RFP proves they don't want what they were seeking a bidder for), Nashua/Manchester commuter rail proposals... Derry was woods when I lived there, current highly developed main drags were thickly wooded side streets and connectors. I don't even recognize it when I go back. Southern NH is not the rural pasture it used to be. The highway infrastructure is proving very insufficient, and the sprawl isn't over. It takes some serious short sighted thinking to be blind to what's going on. It's not unwise to doubt the M&L, but it's not feasible to understand the already decades old trend and stubbornly insist that it's conceptually impossible. Put your crystal balls away now, they're broken.
 #1368548  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CRail wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:Being a former native of that area, I would be very interested to know more specifics on the massive transportation upgrades. Are you talking public transit, or highways?
You can't be a former native, you're either a native or you aren't. 93 is a big one, Boston Express service, Route 3 in MA is another (serves the Nashua region), funding to NNEPRA, expression in freight rail interest (F-Line will try and convince you that an RFP proves they don't want what they were seeking a bidder for), Nashua/Manchester commuter rail proposals... Derry was woods when I lived there, current highly developed main drags were thickly wooded side streets and connectors. I don't even recognize it when I go back. Southern NH is not the rural pasture it used to be. The highway infrastructure is proving very insufficient, and the sprawl isn't over. It takes some serious short sighted thinking to be blind to what's going on. It's not unwise to doubt the M&L, but it's not feasible to understand the already decades old trend and stubbornly insist that it's conceptually impossible. Put your crystal balls away now, they're broken.
*, are you capable of posting at all without making a personal attack? Grow up, please.
 #1368550  by newpylong

CRail wrote:
Crystal ball or no crystal ball, money talks and bullsh*t walks.
 #1368586  by Jackinbox1

eustis22 wrote:welp....

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/new_ha ... 2cc0f.html
Just because a corridor is becoming a trail doesn't mean it will prevent the rail from coming back.
Last edited by Jackinbox1 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.