Railroad Forums 

• Daytime Operations

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1358313  by ebtmikado

For the first time, a friend and I chased Su-99 in June, and had a wonderful adventure.
We drove down from Connecticut, and it was well worth it!
Will definitely be doing it again, once days get longer again.

But in the meantime, what daytime operations can be seen on the Southern Division?

Thanks,
Lee
 #1358519  by waldwickrailfan

ebtmikado wrote:For the first time, a friend and I chased Su-99 in June, and had a wonderful adventure.
We drove down from Connecticut, and it was well worth it!
Will definitely be doing it again, once days get longer again.

But in the meantime, what daytime operations can be seen on the Southern Division?

Thanks,
Lee
WS1 usually works in the morning hours in the Bogota-Jersey City area daily
WS2 runs (usually Sundays only) in the morning up until noon, and works Ridgefield Park, North Bergen, and in between
WS3 runs in the early-mid afternoon, normally M-F, working Ridgefield Park and Little Ferry
WS4 runs in the mid-late afternoon, normally M-F, working North Bergen-Saddle Brook and return
WS5 runs in the evening and overnight and works businesses between Saddle Brook and Pompton Lakes
SJ1 runs M-F, based out of Sparta, and normally works Sparta, but occasionally runs east to Pompton Lakes if needed
 #1358881  by waldwickrailfan

rr503 wrote:What does WS stand for? SJ is Sparta Junction, right?
Yes, SJ is Sparta Junction
I forget the exact name of WS, but it was a long time ago based out of Little Ferry.
Another symbol is LF1, which has been running Sundays lately out of Ridgefield Park, and doing as needed work along the line
 #1358936  by Steve F45

WS stands for West Shore, the line (Riverline) was first called the New York, West Shore & Buffalo Railroad. There is a granite marker down at the Tonnelle ave park and ride from when it was removed from the old tunnel when it was rehabbed for the hblr.
 #1381724  by rr503

It seems that sparta ready mix got a spur installed. What are they shipping?
 #1381790  by RichM

Wild guess, but...

Probably not shipping but receiving aggregate, sand or cement.
 #1381811  by rr503

What an absolutely wild guess :-D :-D
I wonder which one(s) though?
I couldn't see any cars from the road, and OCD me was bothered by not knowing :-)
Also, doesn't tar sometimes go by rail
 #1382049  by RichM

I've been away from northern NJ for a long time, I think the local guys can better speculate, but that heavy oil that's used for paving with chipped stone, yes, that's what the company between Syracuse and Binghamton receives, I'm just not sure how frequently that's still used in NJ, and I think those cars need a source of steam or hot water to unload.

Look for covered hopers vs. tank cars, that's the first cut!

And all in good fun... now is Linde still unloading CO2 in Butler?

Rich