Railroad Forums 

• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1333989  by conductorvern

my cousin would be willing to fix them aka removing asbestos if you move them to east Newport maine aka the rail siding and my grand son also contacted gary about if you guys coverd the cost he would work on them every day or next to every day because he lives across the street from it and he wouldn't have to go far.
 #1335793  by nomis

This morning I saw a hi-rail backhoe get on the rails at MP 161, and continued WEST towards Dedham. I didn't have time to chase through the woods to find where they were going, but it looked like they didn't get off at the same crossing later in the day.
 #1335795  by Cosmo

I know there was a substantial washout somewhere between Ellsworth Falls and Dedham, probably about a mile or so South of Boggy Brook (public well.) This was probably about 20 yrs ago, (round-about the time I joined the Navy,) and it looked to be about a half-mile in length.
Does anyone else remember this, and was it ever repaired? Maybe that's where the backhoe was headed.
 #1356346  by b&m 1566

So, how was this past year? Was ridership up?
I'm curious to know if there will be any added trains to the schedule or added capacity to the train itself. Any plans of one day hoping to use the train station to set up a small museum, gift shop and sell tickets out of?
 #1356446  by jwhite07

The former station building is occupied by the Maine Community Foundation, so it is unavailable for railroad purposes at this time. I think selling tickets out of Cadillac Mountain Sports is a great idea for now... it's right off the main drag (High Street), there's plenty of parking there, and it shows the kind of community and business connectivity that adds to the success of the DSRX venture. Maybe someday a station/museum/whatever could be built next door east of CMS, "where the Irving gas station usedta be", but IMHO the first priority should be to get the railroad west of Ellsworth Falls and into truly "scenic" territory... read the comments on TripAdvisor and elsewhere and the biggest negative you will see about the Downeast Scenic is that it's not really that scenic. Yet. That needs to be fixed first and foremost. I support DSRX every year for that reason, and I hope everyone here who has an interest in or has taken a ride on this railroad will do so as well. They are a first class outfit.
Last edited by jwhite07 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1356463  by b&m 1566

Yes, I've take that train twice now and the most scenic section is the swamp near Washington Jct.
 #1356723  by trainsinmaine

The railroad's long-range plan has long been to extend the excursions to Green Lake, northwest of the city toward Bangor. Some of the roadbed will have to be rebuilt, but I understand that by and large it's in relatively decent shape. The long, long-range plan is to reopen the line all the way to Brewer, if not Bangor. (I got this straight from one of the conductors.) The DSRX has the option from the State to operate trains on it. But it will take big bucks and the reconstruction of at least the aforesaid washout.

I agree that the most scenic part of what's there now is the bog near Washington Junction. The track between Ellsworth and Bangor does go through some pretty territory, especially in the vicinity of Lucerne-in-Maine. There is potential for that part of the line to become a major tourist attraction. Can you picture coming up over Route 1A in Brewer at the interchange with I-395 and seeing a steam locomotive huffing and puffing its way along that railroad? It boggles the mind.
 #1356771  by gokeefe

trainsinmaine wrote:Can you picture coming up over Route 1A in Brewer at the interchange with I-395 and seeing a steam locomotive huffing and puffing its way along that railroad? It boggles the mind.
It would look like something straight out of Harry Potter.
 #1356772  by bml1149

Good afternoon,
We do plan to expand west at some point, however we are waiting on DOT to rebuild the intersection at the glass shop where route 179 intersects 1A. We expect this to begin sometime next year. We also have to do repair work on the Union River Bridge. We expect to begin that project soon, as well. Once these projects are done we can begin to make a serious effort to go west.
Just to clarify one point, we have been selling our own tickets now for about 3 years. Also, the only washouts we had recently were west of Bagaduce Road, but were repaired.
Last year we added a "Pumpkin Train" which turned out to be very successful, so this year we ran 4 Pumpkin trains and all 4 sold out. We are looking into other special event trains as well.
All in all we feel we had a good season ridership wise and maintenance wise, too.
Leverett Fernald
 #1357886  by bml1149

Yes, we have been considering Christmas trains. However, in order for us to be able to do this we must have:

Heat for the coaches.

A way to keep the locomotives warm.

An indoor ticket office.

A permanent water supply.

A plan for how the trains will be operated.

A way to keep the tracks, station platforms and parking lots plowed and sanded.

Some of these things we now have the means to do. Others will require a substantial investment. It is on our radar, as we know this is a popular attraction with other roads. It just takes time to implement.

Leverett Fernald
 #1382207  by Watchman318

Just received this in an email:
The votes have been tallied for the Bangor Savings Bank Foundation 2016 Community Matters More grant program. During the month of February thousands of Mainers voted for their favorite nonprofit organizations, large and small, that make a difference in their communities.

Based on votes cast for more than 2,800 different Maine nonprofits, the Bangor Savings Bank Foundation will allocate $100,000 to 68 nonprofits. The top vote-getter in eight regions will each receive $5,000 from the Bangor Savings Bank Foundation. [The top vote-getter for the Hancock/Washington region was the] Downeast Scenic Railroad,
More info here: http://www.bangor.com/Community-Support ... -More.aspx

Congratulations to the DSRX. :-)