Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1354773  by jt42cwr

In the press release below issued back when the BL20GHs were new it states that
they may even be used to haul passenger cars to maintain limited service should there be a temporary third rail outage

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-t ... nd-railway

How often does this happen in reality, and if it does, is there any way to know in advance when this is likely to occur? I.e. is it publicised anywhere?
 #1354919  by jt42cwr

Yeah, had seen that video. I was wondering more along the lines of scheduled maintenance.
 #1354921  by Nicholas Chen

I'm not sure about that, this is the only time I've seen them in use on the SIR. Someone else might have more information on that. All I know that is they don't publicize when this happens (unless I haven't been checking the MTA's website enough).
 #1356092  by railfan365

Crabman1130 wrote:How can you operate the doors without 3rd rail power?
The locomotive's HEP should cover that, along with providing power for lights and HVAC.
 #1356143  by Backshophoss

Believe these units are not rigged for HEP,battery power could open 1 door leaf per car,figure that the 3rd rail was live,
but snow that deep could tear up the R-46 traction motors,needing the tow with the diesel
 #1356185  by BobLI

Is it possible that was a non revenue move and just to keep the line clear and relocate equipment in the snowstorm?
 #1356275  by railfan365

naugatroll wrote:SIR's Brookvilles are BL20G's...no H...therefore no HEP.
Non-HEP locomotives can still provide it - the LIRR worked that way for years. Just siphon off some of the prime mover's power for hotel power.
 #1356286  by Backshophoss

The few LIRR MP-15's were modified to provide 600 VDC HEP for up to 3 cars of MP-75's turned into coaches,were
basicly rolling generators,could be used as control units in push mode.
There're NO known Mods to the SIRT R-46's for any form of HEP,only what was needed to operate of SIRT trackage,
they were Subway cars,running in tunnels or on elevated trackage with minor snow exposure,now running on ground level
SIRT trackage with snow that can enter traction motors fairly easy(ie NOT weather proof).
Was safer to tow the sets with the BL-20's instead running on their own and Short out due to snow ingestion.
 #1363720  by Gunsnclapton

railfan365 wrote:
naugatroll wrote:SIR's Brookvilles are BL20G's...no H...therefore no HEP.
Non-HEP locomotives can still provide it - the LIRR worked that way for years. Just siphon off some of the prime mover's power for hotel power.
Yea just that simple right? You want to be the guy holding the jumper cables?
 #1513356  by XBNSFer

Just needs to lick his fingers first.
 #1585601  by XBNSFer

The BL20G's could be used to "rescue" a stranded MU train during a power or third rail outage (or mechanical failure) or provide some very limited service during a more extended outage, and MU car batteries could probably suffice to open some doors.

Doesn't happen very often. They only have 4 Brookies, not exactly going to run a rush hour schedule with 4 trains, lol.