Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1349552  by YamaOfParadise

Hopefully CMQ will continue using the roundhouse and turntable in Rockland under their operations. Considering it's really the only facility for them to use, they'll pretty much have to for the time being, but there's a reason why railroads in large have stopped using turntables. I can easily see them becoming disinterested in the maintenance required to keep it moving, if they don't have any interest in the heritage aspect of it... or, if it would turn out to be cheaper than trying to construct new facilities, which it probably would be.
 #1349788  by Watchman318

I believe the roundhouse and turntable are owned by MDOT.
The turntable was handy for turning an FL9 around for a return trip from Rockland to Brunswick, when excursions weren't being run with a locomotive on each end.
I don't know if CM&Q has a rule about turning a freight locomotive to run with one hood or the other leading, but I believe PAR does/did. Crews interchanging in Brunswick or going up the Lewiston Industrial were supposed to get turned around (short hood forward) for the return to Rigby whenever possible. They use(d) the wye.
 #1353836  by MERailFanJay

eustis22 wrote:We'll be taking the next to last excursion trains to Rockland, Saturday.
I, along with my father and son,will be going on the very last trip on Sunday. I have to drive all the way to Brunswick (I'm from the Rockland end), but didn't want to miss the opportunity to be on the last trip.
 #1353840  by Watchman318

I guess I should ride one last time, too.

I spoke to an MERR official a couple of weeks ago, and he mentioned the Christmas specials, but didn't say for sure if they'd be running them this year. I took my eldest granddaughter on the Jingle Bell Express that past two years, and she really enjoyed it.
 #1354369  by sleepingtree

I'm sorry I never saw this first hand, however I'm wondering: obviously they use the Brunswick wye to turn the FL9, but do they back the entire train down the wye - or just the locomotive? I know it's a silly question, but for some unexplainable reason, knowing the answer is very important to me!
 #1354384  by gokeefe

sleepingtree wrote:I'm sorry I never saw this first hand, however I'm wondering: obviously they use the Brunswick wye to turn the FL9, but do they back the entire train down the wye - or just the locomotive? I know it's a silly question, but for some unexplainable reason, knowing the answer is very important to me!
I've seen it done multiple times and it was always the entire train.
 #1354393  by MaineCoonCat

gokeefe wrote:
sleepingtree wrote:I'm sorry I never saw this first hand, however I'm wondering: obviously they use the Brunswick wye to turn the FL9, but do they back the entire train down the wye - or just the locomotive? I know it's a silly question, but for some unexplainable reason, knowing the answer is very important to me!
I've seen it done multiple times and it was always the entire train.
Back in 2011 when we rode it, they turned the whole train after loading for the return east (north).. We were in the parlor car at the time so we had a great view.
1-SANY0112.JPG
1-SANY0113.JPG
1-SANY0114.JPG
 #1354634  by eustis22

Sorry for the lack of clarity but SUMBUNNY forgot her camera so all I had was my phone
Attachments:
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG (232.47 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG (433.3 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (275.15 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
 #1354897  by Watchman318

MaineCoonCat wrote:Back in 2011 when we rode it, they turned the whole train after loading for the return east (north).. We were in the parlor car at the time so we had a great view.
Back when the Brunswick MERR station was at the Cedar St. lot, the connections between the north "station track" (also known as "Track 4") and the main line were just west of Union St., and back west of Stanwood St. It was probably simpler to wye the whole train than to run the power around it. (If they weren't doing push/pull.)
If anyone wants to see the changes with Google Earth, the 05/16/10 satellite view is a good one.

So much has changed since I was there last. I recognize the first two locations, but not your last photo. The crossing in the background doesn't look like any that I remember in the double-track territory, but then again, I think some of the new tracks there were "put back" after having been removed in decades past.
 #1354901  by Watchman318

eustis22 wrote:Sorry for the lack of clarity but SUMBUNNY forgot her camera so all I had was my phone
Not bad photos. Looks like you had good weather for the trip.

Did you try the restaurant in the Rockland station, or either of the ones in the Brunswick station?
 #1354903  by eustis22

The day STARTED out great but turned gray about the time we hit rockland. As for the Trackside, everybody and his mother ran in there to use the not-small bathrooms so we walked around and ate somewhere else. We did have a couple of pops prior to boarding and I asked the beertender if the clock was the original station clock.

The WW&F trestle pilings were spookily sad.

There were hoppers blocking any potential shots of the rockland enginehouse/turntable as well as the MERR snowplow in residence.
 #1354931  by Watchman318

eustis22 wrote:The day STARTED out great but turned gray about the time we hit rockland.
Bummer. But at least you probably didn't encounter wet leaves on the rails on the stretch known as "Warren Hill." I've heard those are kind of a challenge sometimes.
As for the Trackside, everybody and his mother ran in there to use the not-small bathrooms so we walked around and ate somewhere else.
I forgot about that rush upon arrival at Rockland.
I guess the restaurant accepts the occasional "peak traffic" and water use as part of their lease agreement, but it probably does contribute to their patronage if passengers decide to grab a bite there. I think there was a time when Trackside did the food service in the dining car, too. Not sure what's offered on-board any more.
There were hoppers blocking any potential shots of the rockland enginehouse/turntable as well as the MERR snowplow in residence.
Get the pics while you can, guys. :(