Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1350462  by Gilbert B Norman

Amtk30 wrote:Just a guess, could yesterday's 5 and 3 taken the Frmr-ATSF via Joliet etc and transfer return at Cameron Jct? ??
I doubt that, Mr. Amtrak 30.

The website reported an arrival time at Naperville; when a train is rerouted, the site will report "service disruption" over the train's entire route.
 #1350741  by Greg Moore

Were(are) there issues with the North River Tunnels today?

We came out the southernmost bore heading to Philly and passed at least 6 trains all queued up heading into NYC.

Made me think of shades of what's to come if a tunnel does fail.
 #1351137  by ThirdRail7

Amtrak Suspends Some Service Along the Southeast
Amtrak Suspends Some Service Along the Southeast
Weather impacting trains operating between Florida and New York City

Due to severe weather conditions impacting the East Coast, Amtrak will suspend some services along the East Coast for Saturday, Oct. 3.
Carolinian Trains 79 & 80 (New York City - Charlotte), Palmetto Trains 89 & 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City), Silver Star Trains 91 & 90 (Miami - New York City) and Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.) is cancelled. No alternate transportation will be provided. Some Thruway Bus Connections will also be cancelled.
Northeast Regional 99 between Boston and Newport News, Va., will end in Richmond, Va. Northeast Regional 71 between New York City and Richmond, Va., will end in Washington, D.C.
 #1351209  by Jeff Smith

ThirdRail7 wrote:Amtrak Suspends Some Service Along the Southeast
Weather impacting trains operating between Florida and New York City
I wonder how the Meteor escaped the cancellation hammer? Lots of rain here in the south, so I imagine the risk of washouts is pretty bad.
 #1351462  by JimBoylan

Some Florida trains ran through Charleston, S.C. on the weekend of Oct. 3 & 4, others were Cancelled. On Mon., Oct. 5, except for possibly the Southbound Palmetto, which shows Sold Out, the trains through eastern South Carolina seem to be Canceled; and mostly Sold Out for Oct. 6.
 #1352045  by electricron

Off hand I would agree that it he Auto Train could be realigned to the Silver Star route through Columbia, that the Silver Meteor could too, but that's assuming Amtrak has enough engineers and conductors qualified on the alternate corridor, which I doubt they do. The few times the Texas Eagle has been rerouted it was planned months in advance where crews could be trained and qualified for the alternate corridor. In this case, there has been no time to train the crews. Depending upon how long it takes to repair the washed out bridge, they may train more crews for the other corridor so they can reroute the other trains to it - assuming the freight railroad is willing to accommodating them on the other line.
 #1352146  by Allouette

CSX is asking customers to accept 24 to 48 hour delays on shipments, and Amtrak has described the restarted Silver Star as "subject to delay". I would be willing to bet CSX just does not have room for Auto Train or a rerouted Silver Meteor.