Railroad Forums 

• Ferrocarril Central Andino

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1348429  by Benny

Returning to the topic, in Lima there are various railroad items plinthed in parks, mostly being coaches, but there are also some surprises. Now I show you only two, with the warning that images quality is very low because were taken with a mobile phone and my one is especially bad.

The first one is a wooden bodied coach sitting in a park of Pueblo Libre district (the name is not connected with Karl Marx but with the "libertador" Bolivar). There are not marks on the body nor any explanation sign but I imagine it came from the Ferrocarril Central because of size, appropriate for a long journey.
D14 carrozza a cassa in legno a Pueblo Libre.jpg
D14 carrozza a cassa in legno a Pueblo Libre.jpg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
The second one instead is a FCCA relic for sure, being a JT26CW from EMD. Loco 706 is plinthed in the "Parque del Porvenir" that, against the bombastic name, is a modest garden in La Victoria district.
D16 loc.706 monumento in la victoria.jpg
D16 loc.706 monumento in la victoria.jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
This monument is different because the loco was not only plinthed but also emptied and all the content, prime movers, generators, air compressors and so on, was plinthed on his side. This is one of the 16 cylinders prime movers.
D18 Uno dei motori 16 cilindri della loc. 706 monum. in la victoria.jpg
D18 Uno dei motori 16 cilindri della loc. 706 monum. in la victoria.jpg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Hope this can be interesting.

Ciao :wink:
 #1348453  by philipmartin

I think that Lima must be run by railfans, It seems to me that wooden coach has "Norte America" written all over it.
I've never seen a diesel like that EMD export. It looks in too good shape to be retired. It had two power assemblies like an EMD E unit?
Bolivar liberated Venezuela too, and my ancestors there must have been all in favor of him because after independence they burned the records of whom they had been in Spain, much to the dismay of their descendents.
Don't throw away that phone yet; It's doing a good job.
 #1348484  by Benny

Surely the coach is of north-American origin, as was the majority of railroad equipment in the roaring times.
You can see another loco like 706 back in the topic, being dismantled in Chosica. This kind of loco was en export model and the Peru ones were built in 1986 by Villares in Brazil with 2 16-645 engines each. The plinthed one was cosmetically restored before its new use.

#1348533  by philipmartin

So Villares built them under license from EMD. Over here, only GM's E units had two diesel engines in them, and their primary use was in passenger service. That 705 being dismantled looks as though it hardly has room for two diesels. Here's a picture of an Illinois Central Gulf three unit (A-B-A) E8. I have fond memories of the IC.

"Man that escapes from the enemy is a coward!" "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day!" An old American proverb.
 #1348570  by Benny

philipmartin wrote:That 705 being dismantled looks as though it hardly has room for two diesels."Man that escapes from the enemy is a coward!" "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day!" An old American proverb.
You are right! It seems that there is no space for two engines on the loco. I told an idiocy but, as a partial excuse, surely in La Victoria have been plinthed more items than the ones inside the loco because I clearly remember two diesels and two main generators. More, in this image, you can see a car with a stripped diesel on the left of the loco and I supposed it had been down of 705.
D45r Loco 705 in fase di smantellamento aChosica.jpg
D45r Loco 705 in fase di smantellamento aChosica.jpg (128.5 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Finally was not uncommon, in Europe, fitting locos with two complete traction units to avoid complete failures and other problems.
But I've been stupid in no thinking in 1) space, 2) weight and 3) two 16-645 engines are approx. 6000 hp, too much for an export loco.
Pardon.

"If the enemy is whisky, brandy, pisco, beer, wodka, wine etc. I brave it until its dead" modern Benny proverb. ...Hic...

#1348624  by philipmartin

Benny wrote:
philipmartin wrote:It sounds like the railway I work for in New Jersey, (a state owned railroad and bus commuter operation.) Not all our trains always make it to their destination. We have breakdowns, system wide, every day.
In the last times I was in in Italy I was collaborating with Trenord, the joint venture between Trenitalia (ex FS) and LeNord (ex FNM) for regional traffic in Lombardy region.
As that famous movie: I saw things that you, humans, cannot imagine.
time posted this on the NJ Transit (where I work) forum. It's not a very unusual occurrence. I see it where I work on a frequent basis. Departure Vision is a computer display of actual train times, and not always exact.
"Re: Commuter Rail Delay Discussion 2015
by time » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Two and a half hour commute tonight. HORRIBLE job communicating cancellations and delays. Departure vision was a massive fail. The automated PA was announcing trains at 20+ minutes late, and departure vision showed it due to arrive in 8 minutes. Then a train was cancelled, then it was "due to arrive," then it was cancelled, the it was "due to arrive," then it was... you get the drift. FAIL"
 #1348640  by Benny

David Benton wrote: Didn't find any tickets for this train, but i did find a newspaper clipping of the Lima train timetables. Going by that , I think I actually went to Huancayo.
Oh, lucky man!

#1348852  by David Benton

Here is the scan of the timetable , hopefully you can zoom in , and read the station names.
https://flic.kr/p/xMyoSq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see the market is on a Sunday In Huncayo , so it is likely I went up on the Saturday train, and came back on the Monday train.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/LocationPh ... egion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1349008  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/LocationPh ... egion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A lot of nice photos of the Andes. The church plaza is particularly attractive.

I keep wondering why they use "H" instead of "J" for the "H" sound in names in that area? I admit that I only have a skimpy understanding of Spanish. I wonder if that was the influence of Henry Meiggs, the American who built railroads in Peru and Chile?
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1349098  by Benny

David Benton wrote:Here is the scan of the timetable , hopefully you can zoom in , and read the station names.
Keep that newspaper, it's a piece of history. It's a witness of the time when train was the main people transporter in the Sierra. Really interesting.

#1349765  by Benny

really interesting, thanks.