Railroad Forums 

• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1350372  by BM1575

Well from what I've heard thru thru the vines of grape they're using 2-3 FL9's that were purchased from Metro North as for passenger cars? I'll assume they will be hand me down seconds that are out dated as well. The line will start in Providence thru P&W's valley main all the way up to Worcester. P&W even built a stub track long enough to park equipment right after Mendon Rd but unsure of what will be parked there but It's long enough for 6 passenger cars and 1 engine. But like most it's lots of talk nothing is in stone as of yet.
 #1350391  by BM1575

Jeff the source I heard this from Is pretty credible seeing they work for the railroad. It don't matter to me what they run It would've been nice to see FL9's but I guess that's only tourist railroad dreaming I'm having.
 #1350392  by Jeff Smith

I think someone is pulling your leg. These units were on their last legs as it was, restricted to shuttle service and often two to a "mini" (3-coach consist). And they don't have ACSES and they might need environmental waivers. I don't recall what MNRR did with their units, but they have only one F10 on property, and they're holding that for a museum I think. CtDOT still has five units I think? And they've been stripped in the NH yard, sitting rusting away. CtDOT did try to sell them; no takers. If there's a contract on any of the units, they'd be out there.

Now, there are operational FL9's elsewhere, including one on Maine Eastern, and one on the Naugatuck. The ME one could be for sale; there was an operator/ownership change and the new owner is not interested in passenger ops. Naugy would never let their's go. Danbury has some static displays that are probably intact, but again, I doubt a museum would let one go.

It's just not practical.
 #1350606  by NH2060

Well I suppose if you had 2 FL9s bracketing 2-4 coaches making only one stop between PVD and WOR they shouldn't have a problem performance wise. It's not even as stop and go as the Upper Harlem, Danbury, and Waterbury shuttles.

Now what does sound truly ridiculous is this:
If a successful profit is made in Worcester, the company should be able to expand to larger markets around Boston and Manhattan.
http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/ ... y_com.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah right :-P
 #1350620  by Rockingham Racer

"Bono's company will be the first private commuter railway to start in this country in 100 years, he noted."

I'm fairly certain All Aboard Florida pre-dated this guy. And to F-Line's observation and his wonderment: where in Providence are the trains going to land? Maybe a facility on P&W's property? These are truly exciting times we live in!
 #1350622  by YamaOfParadise

Not to mention how this operation could/would comply with the PTC mandates that are coming up. Regardless if it gets pushed off for x number of years or not, that's still going to significantly increase the cost of this project for him AND the P&W.
 #1350638  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Rockingham Racer wrote:"Bono's company will be the first private commuter railway to start in this country in 100 years, he noted."

I'm fairly certain All Aboard Florida pre-dated this guy. And to F-Line's observation and his wonderment: where in Providence are the trains going to land? Maybe a facility on P&W's property? These are truly exciting times we live in!
Can't be Amtrak-owned Providence station, that's for sure. Not unless they want to pay Amtrak's price for rent, equip for PTC, and get qualified on the NEC. The P&W-dispatched FRIP track has no possible platform access at Providence.

So give a warm welcome to historic Harris Ave. Union Station, the 100% Amtrak-free downtown Providence stop! Make sure to steer clear of the broken glass when exiting the train, and remember to always walk in pairs after dark.
 #1350672  by YamaOfParadise

mtuandrew wrote:How's that work? Isn't that on Amtrak track?
That's the point; it isn't. If you look at Boston Switch, it's milepost 04.90 on the P&W Mainline... if you do some math to compare the milepost of Boston Switch on the Shore Line (190.0), and subtract 4.90 miles from that, you get to Brayton interlocking at MP 185.10 on the Shore Line. That's just south (physically west) of the station. That's not Atwells, but I think at some point it did end a little further southbound at Atwells; Brayton just was reconfigured at some point and now if you were to continue to Atwells you'd still have to temporarily merge into track 3 before coming back out. So I don't even think what F-Line said would "work" from the perspective of exclusively operating on the P&W.
 #1352458  by jmar896

Jeff Smith wrote:I think someone is pulling your leg. These units were on their last legs as it was, restricted to shuttle service and often two to a "mini" (3-coach consist). And they don't have ACSES and they might need environmental waivers. I don't recall what MNRR did with their units, but they have only one F10 on property, and they're holding that for a museum I think. CtDOT still has five units I think? And they've been stripped in the NH yard, sitting rusting away. CtDOT did try to sell them; no takers. If there's a contract on any of the units, they'd be out there.

Now, there are operational FL9's elsewhere, including one on Maine Eastern, and one on the Naugatuck. The ME one could be for sale; there was an operator/ownership change and the new owner is not interested in passenger ops. Naugy would never let their's go. Danbury has some static displays that are probably intact, but again, I doubt a museum would let one go.

It's just not practical.
I know Im a little late to the party but Maine Eastern has 2 FL9s, 488 & 489. I believe they are both operational, as they were both operating very recently. They pull a 5 car consist without problems. Although I agree that FL9s are fairly unrealistic they are one of few options. Sure, there's GP40s and F40s available but quite honestly the FL9s are not much worse. There were 2 FL9s for lease in MN livery about a year ago. As long as they stay off of Amtrak track cant they get away with no ACSES? I think that's going to be there plan in the end. As for coaches, the MBTA should be willing to sell some of there older stored MBB coaches and cabs. There's also a good number of Comets from NJT and older bi-levels floating around. The MBTA MBBs would make the most sense though when it comes to cost and transport costs. As for environmental wavier there not much worse then the tier 0 locomotives out there. There's still plenty of 567s out there, so I don't think a FL9 would need a waiver.

As much as an unrealistic proposal BSR is making I do hope a Worcester-Woonsocket-Providence commuter rail gets established soon. There's a pretty large number of people who commute from the Worcester area to the Providence & Woonsocket areas, I think there's a market for one.