Railroad Forums 

• Train vs. car in Winterport — 09-15-2015

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1348600  by MEC407

Photo from one of the Bangor Daily News' reporters:

https://twitter.com/NokNoiBDN/status/643871651659182081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1348861  by Zeke

Unfortunately when todays motorist sees a pair of cross bucks and the red lights begin flashing it means floor the gas pedal through the firewall and go for it. Very sad.
 #1348912  by MEC407

It's worth noting there are no lights or bells or other active warning devices at this particular crossing. The town should probably add some stop signs. Another motorist reported that she had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the train. As lights and gates have become more and more common, motorists today are less accustomed to these unprotected crossings, which makes them more of a hazard.

Video from WABI-TV:

http://wabi.tv/2015/09/15/woman-hospita ... interport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1348913  by Ridgefielder

Zeke wrote:Unfortunately when todays motorist sees a pair of cross bucks and the red lights begin flashing it means floor the gas pedal through the firewall and go for it. Very sad.
I don't know-- I feel like there have been idiots who do that since the very dawn of the automobile. Sure remember seeing plenty of people speeding up to beat then-Conrail over the Portland Ave. crossing in Branchville, CT circa early-1980's.
 #1349066  by Zeke

I agree. I was listening to talk radio recently and a psychologist said it appears todays motorist is in a frantic psychological state of mind behind the wheel, got a laugh at that one. I wonder if the crew was supposed to flag the crossing before occupying it. Can't see a train zooming over unprotected crossings and spinning the roulette wheel unless state law requires a motorist to make a full stop. In many states a unprotected grade crossing requires a motorist to make a full stop and after ascertaining there is no train, proceed.
 #1349070  by SemperFidelis

Heck, when going through old family photos we found a picture of a great great uncle of mine who was killed in his 1923 Winton in Bristol, PA...in a grade crossing accident. Didn't say whether it was RDG or PRR and I couldn't find any newspaper coverage of the story.

Back then, my family was (when not in the uniform of the military or avoiding the Czar) in the uniform of various trolley operators. Undoubtedly familiar with the deadly potential of trains, and in an era when awareness of trains was far higher than it is today, this man still gambled and lost at a grade crossing. Stupid and impatient know no era in particular.
 #1349087  by MEC407

Thanks for posting that. Two things jump out at me:

No "RxR" markings or stop lines on the pavement.

No "advance warning" signs (the round yellow "RxR" signs).

I find this concerning. If you're going to have this type of crossing you might as well avail yourself of all the passive warning devices available. I'm pretty certain the advance warning signs are mandatory, and the pavement markings might be as well.
 #1349113  by Watchman318

MEC407 wrote:I find this concerning. If you're going to have this type of crossing you might as well avail yourself of all the passive warning devices available. I'm pretty certain the advance warning signs are mandatory, and the pavement markings might be as well.
I agree that "somebody" should at least install W10-1 (the round yellow "RXR" signs) there. I think I read somewhere that the road was dirt until just a few years ago; looking at the satellite view, center lines seem to be absent, too.
I can think of a number of crossings in my area that could use new advance-warning pavement markings (and stop bars that might help keep certain motorists from stopping closer than 15' from the near rail), but I'm not holding my breath while waiting for that to happen.
I don't know of any requirement in law for the markings. AFAIK, there's just an oblique reference to them in the motor vehicle law, in the statute about how drivers are supposed to operate after they pass the signs or markings. But as you've no doubt noticed, few people slow down and even fewer "observe in both directions." If they get center-punched, they act all surprised or maybe even indignant about it. :-(
 #1349119  by NHV 669

MEC407 wrote:Thanks for posting that. Two things jump out at me:

No "RxR" markings or stop lines on the pavement.

No "advance warning" signs (the round yellow "RxR" signs).

I find this concerning. If you're going to have this type of crossing you might as well avail yourself of all the passive warning devices available. I'm pretty certain the advance warning signs are mandatory, and the pavement markings might be as well.
There are a good many back roads in NH (Percy Rd. that follows the SLR from Stark to Groveton as an active example) that lack markings, although I've almost seen the warning signs.

Signs are nice, and are a good assistant to warn of possible trains ahead, but cost money to make, install, and then replace when struck by the occasional vehicle. Situational awareness is free, but as mentioned here, seems to be something you can't be paid to possess.