Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1348216  by MEC407

That might be a bit of a stretch, I think. CMQ is entering into a 10-year contract with the state. The state didn't hold a gun to their head and force them to sign it. They must want the business. Obviously it is profitable or else Maine Eastern wouldn't have tried to re-up for an additional 10 years.

Compared to CMQ's operations up north, the Rockland Branch should be a cakewalk. It's not a difficult line to operate, and the biggest part of the business is just acting as Dragon's conveyor belt for the few miles between Thomaston and Rockland. In many ways it's just an industrial switching operation. If CMQ finds themselves unable to make that work, it would be a sign of bigger problems within that company, but not necessarily a reflection on the Rockland Branch itself.
 #1348222  by CN9634

MEC407 wrote:That might be a bit of a stretch, I think. CMQ is entering into a 10-year contract with the state. The state didn't hold a gun to their head and force them to sign it. They must want the business. Obviously it is profitable or else Maine Eastern wouldn't have tried to re-up for an additional 10 years.

Compared to CMQ's operations up north, the Rockland Branch should be a cakewalk. It's not a difficult line to operate, and the biggest part of the business is just acting as Dragon's conveyor belt for the few miles between Thomaston and Rockland. In many ways it's just an industrial switching operation. If CMQ finds themselves unable to make that work, it would be a sign of bigger problems within that company, but not necessarily a reflection on the Rockland Branch itself.
With consolidation of crews, ops and maint. services they will likely have a leaner budget. Sadly that means 9 folks without work but hopefully they can reapply with CMQ or another RR. Keep in mind too it might be helpful in that crews based out of Rockland could qualify on the Searsport branch or something to that effect with crossover of resources. Giles says he sees a few other customers in the mix too. I wonder about the line to Augusta if they or anyone else will take interest. It will certainly be an interesting change of pace. Thank you Maine Eastern for the years of service
 #1348224  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:Keep in mind too it might be helpful in that crews based out of Rockland could qualify on the Searsport branch or something to that effect with crossover of resources.
Good point. Only 30 miles between Rockland and Searsport.
 #1348231  by Cowford

The first thing CMQ should do is evaluate the use of Brandt R4 power units as a locomotive alternative. You'd need no "locomotive" on ME, the vehicle could also serve the Searsport branch, it's easily transportable for maintenance and repair, better fuel consumption, etc. It ain't pretty, but you only make money with looks if you're a model.

http://www.brandt.ca/Divisions/RoadRail ... ower+Units(Brandt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)&cat=Divisions
 #1348397  by newpylong

Cowford wrote:The first thing CMQ should do is evaluate the use of Brandt R4 power units as a locomotive alternative. You'd need no "locomotive" on ME, the vehicle could also serve the Searsport branch, it's easily transportable for maintenance and repair, better fuel consumption, etc. It ain't pretty, but you only make money with looks if you're a model.

http://www.brandt.ca/Divisions/RoadRail ... ower+Units(Brandt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)&cat=Divisions
You're not serious are you? Brandt's are legit but either line would be a poor place for them. They are good for 10 loads, that's it. The Rockland branch track is good for 40 mph freight and Searsport 25, using one of these would be a waste.

They are awesome for MOW and for industrial operations in confined areas.
 #1348459  by Cowford

First, Newpy, I said "evaluate".

Second, the Brandt operates up to 40 mph

Third, let me know the next time a train operates on the Rockland branch that couldn't be handled by a Brandt.

But what really gets me in your comments is dismissing it out-of-hand as "a waste". What do you call the practice of having a locomotive sitting idle more hours of the day than not?
 #1348521  by NHV 669

newpylong wrote:I have no rebuttal other than what I've already said.

Let me know when you see a Brandt pulling a train on the Rockland Branch. :-D
I saw one at the front of a string of hoppers more than once, and that was on the Joint line in Colorado. But, that line probably pales in comparison to the Rockland Branch's traffic. :wink:
 #1349257  by Watchman318

"Rockland drivers charged with OUI after separate accidents, one with train"
"[Around 5:30 PM] a car driven by 45-year-old Michael Duffy of Rockland was driving on Berkley Street and failed to yield for an oncoming Maine Eastern Railroad train, [Rockland Police Sgt.] Finnegan said. There is a stop sign at the crossing, he pointed out." Read more here: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/17/n ... with-train

I think that's one of two public crossings in the city's "no horn zone" that doesn't have active warning devices. It's on the "Atlantic Branch," the line to the waterfront, where pretty much only the cement shuttle runs now. Perhaps luckily for Mr. Duffy, all track in the city is restricted speed.
 #1349473  by BandA

Watchman318 wrote:"Rockland drivers charged with OUI after separate accidents, one with train"
"[Around 5:30 PM] a car driven by 45-year-old Michael Duffy of Rockland was driving on Berkley Street and failed to yield for an oncoming Maine Eastern Railroad train, [Rockland Police Sgt.] Finnegan said. There is a stop sign at the crossing, he pointed out." Read more here: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/17/n ... with-train

I think that's one of two public crossings in the city's "no horn zone" that doesn't have active warning devices. It's on the "Atlantic Branch," the line to the waterfront, where pretty much only the cement shuttle runs now. Perhaps luckily for Mr. Duffy, all track in the city is restricted speed.
From the headline, I thought it was one drunk driver had two accidents! Best line in the article:
...damage to the passenger-side rear end of Duffy’s vehicle where the train struck it. There was no visible damage to the train...
 #1349535  by MaineCoonCat

BandA wrote:
Watchman318 wrote:"Rockland drivers charged with OUI after separate accidents, one with train"

From the headline, I thought it was one drunk driver had two accidents! Best line in the article:
...damage to the passenger-side rear end of Duffy’s vehicle where the train struck it. There was no visible damage to the train...
That must've had the train crew shaking their heads in disbelief. That street is a residential street running between two other basically residential streets and is only about 225m. (742ft.) long..