Railroad Forums 

• Bay Ridge

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1277455  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by the yard today this afternoon around 5:15. No movements going on, but there was a blue & white Geep, I guess a GP38-2, in the chain link fence enclosure. There was a loaded centerbeam flatcar on the track leading into the Army Terminal, and a mixed bag of boxcars, flatcars and gondolas on what I believe are used as team tracks along the north side of the yard. The main body of trackage in the yard had also had a mixed bag of rolling stock, including loaded center beam flatcars and hi-cube boxcars.
 #1328537  by Teutobergerwald

Passed over the Bay Ridge Yard this afternoon at 4:50pm just as an NYA GP38-2 w/white cab roof and an MP-15ac were starting to pull a long cut of mixed freight, especially loaded centerbeam flatcars out of the center track of the yard. Had never seen NYA power in the yard personally, only the NYNJ power.
 #1331206  by Teutobergerwald

Several cuts of mixed freight, mostly boxcars, on the south-side of the yard, loaded center beam on the 1st Ave track, nothing on the team track on the north side of the yard and the in-house leased GP38-2 locked up in its enclosure around 4:50 yesterday afternoon.
 #1331227  by freightguy

They have a new genset on the way built on the frame of an ex GP10. There are pictures out there somewhere of it in transit.
 #1345955  by Lupo10

Speaking of Bay Ridge (I tried to recycle a thread rather than start a new one here) can anyone tell me whether the NYNJ interchange traffic is delivered local on the Bay Ridge branch or do those customers on the branch get all of their cars coming down from Fresh Pond?
 #1345976  by Backshophoss

Believe most of the cars are floated over from Greenville Nj,there's some interchange with the NY&A done at
Bay Ridge yard
 #1346409  by jtunnel

Customers on the NYNJRR proper for the most part, get their cars floated over from Greenville. That being said, there have been movements in the past from NY&A to NYNJRR Customers (but none that I've observed recently)

Customers traffic on NYNJRR, (from my observations, and not a definitive list) loads of building materials and food stuffs come in and are unloaded within the yard. Outbound loads consist of scrap from the SIMS Metals facility in Sunset Park.

Rest of the traffic is interchange with NY&A. Inbound tank cars of biodiesel, covered hoppers of bentonite/sand(?), building materials, rail and track components(for MTA projects) and foodstuffs. Outbound loaded scrap and waste paper plus all the return empties.
 #1346440  by Lupo10

Thanks for the replies. Can you elaborate further on where NYA customers on the Bayridge branch get their cars from? Floated over from NYNJ or brought down from Fresh Pond? For instance Favorite Plastics. Do their hoppers come from Fresh Pond? Or floated from NYNJ?
 #1346472  by freightguy

Favorite got cars from both ways and a bunch used to be stored in 65st. Unfortunately like a lot of NY area polymer companies Favorite went the way of the dodo bird. That's what I had heard last.
 #1346483  by Lupo10

Interesting that they would get cars from both Fresh Pond and NYNJ. I guess they had several vendors for poly that they used. I checked online and it looked like they were still in business. Maybe that info is old. What about Manhattan Beer and Glenwood Masonry? Or Tristate Brick. Where did those cars come from?
 #1346530  by Backshophoss

How the car was routed is normally spec'ed by the shipper of the Material,on the Waybill(Bill of Lading),or
by a Freight Broker after getting a rate quote from the RR's involved.
This is a"wild guess" at best,if the car is from NS territory,it might go to Greenville NJ and float over,
if the car is from CSX territory,it might go from Selkirk-Oak Point to Fremont/Fresh Pond,NY&A
to Bay Ridge Yard.
NY&A controls the Bay Ridge Branch from Fremont to Bay Ridge,CSX controls the Secondary track from Fremont
back to Oak Point yard over the Hellgate Bridge.
It's 50/50 where the cars come from into Bay Ridge Yard
 #1346613  by Lupo10

That all makes sense. I guess I was trying to determine what the "typical" route was. But it seems that it very well "could" be 50/50. Thanks!!!
 #1346701  by DogBert

freightguy wrote:Favorite got cars from both ways and a bunch used to be stored in 65st. Unfortunately like a lot of NY area polymer companies Favorite went the way of the dodo bird. That's what I had heard last.
Just recently? They still had cars and the factory humming a month ago. (unless you're thinking of allied, which closed up late last year).
 #1346863  by freightguy

You guys are probably about Favorite. Someone at NYA told me they were going out awhile back. Glad to hear they didn't follow Amco(Farmingdale, NY) and Allied Extruders which was of LIRR's biggest accounts.