Railroad Forums 

• North Brookfield RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1345945  by ProRail

I fear that with G&U, MassCentral, and if/when NBRR comes to fruition, there won't be enough transload business in western Worcester County to support all 3.

Oh - I am sure there are "studies" and "potential customers" but a few things to take into consideration:

1) The Class 1s always get the biggest piece of the revenue on each carload
2) The origin shipping railroad, if not a Class 1, gets the next big piece - so it is imperative for any shortline to have that OUTBOUND freight since it has the biggest affect on net income

I just hope the short-line revival does not quickly turn into market saturation.

I can see a scenario since transloading requires minimal capital expenditure on the part of the shippers, that a shipper can play all 3 railroads off each other and just keep driving the rates down. And you can be sure the Class 1's won't take it out of their cut.

As the end result will be wasted capital and lost jobs.

And this is based on my own experience in this type of business I have dealt with in New England, New York and the Maritimes.
 #1345949  by MaineCoonCat

ILUVEB wrote:As before, regarding the claim we (yes WE) have the substantiation we need.
IMHO, Until you produce said substantiation your testimony is of dubious veracity at best.
 #1345970  by Tower35

Throughout this entire discussion, "WE" has NOT produced any documentation or links to it here or elsewhere probably because they have NONE. This is just a disgruntled encroaching abutter of the ROW blowing a lot of hot air.
 #1345977  by ILUVEB

Oh, there's plenty of time for that. After all, the imminent project (circa 2011) is quite stillborn. We know the cards in our hand. You can think "probably" at your peril. You can think "hot air" at your own risk. Truly, we have produced far more documentation than NBRR or DB. No need to give it away here. Like I posted before, you are choosing to go to the wall on this fight, and you have absolutely no idea with whom you are tangling. We will not go away silently on this, and that's a promise.
 #1345980  by dcm74

If you are so certain why don't you produce an ICC Docket No.? That could put an end to the discussion on whether the NBRR is officially abandoned or only that service has been discontinued.
 #1345991  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ILUVEB wrote:Oh, there's plenty of time for that. After all, the imminent project (circa 2011) is quite stillborn. We know the cards in our hand. You can think "probably" at your peril. You can think "hot air" at your own risk. Truly, we have produced far more documentation than NBRR or DB. No need to give it away here. Like I posted before, you are choosing to go to the wall on this fight, and you have absolutely no idea with whom you are tangling. We will not go away silently on this, and that's a promise.
Should we continue waiting with baited breath another 3 years and 3 days for whose army to show its hand...seeing how that is almost straight copy/paste from what we/them/youze guys wrote on this very thread in 2012:

--> viewtopic.php?f=126&t=86086&start=60#p1075632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <--

They didn't seem to want to answer a simple question back then, either. I guess them thar people over here better talk to them thar people over there and see whozits' running we's Internet Tough Guy PR ship. I'd hate to think the night shift logged onto their collective RR.net troll account, forgot to read what theyall wrote 3 years ago, and made themselves look silly all over again. That's just poor internal communication, heyyouthere.
 #1345992  by Cosmo

ILUVEB wrote:Oh, there's plenty of time for that. After all, the imminent project (circa 2011) is quite stillborn. We know the cards in our hand. You can think "probably" at your peril. You can think "hot air" at your own risk. Truly, we have produced far more documentation than NBRR or DB. No need to give it away here. Like I posted before, you are choosing to go to the wall on this fight, and you have absolutely no idea with whom you are tangling. We will not go away silently on this, and that's a promise.
Smythe,... is that YOU Smythe? :P
 #1345997  by MaineCoonCat

Is ILUVEB possibly the new identity of Baghdad Bob?? "I have detailed information about the situation...which completely proves that what they allege are illusions . . . They lie every day."..
 #1346005  by Cosmo

Sounds like somebody is projecting juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee little bit. :wink:
 #1346179  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin Note: Let's move on, and not feed the trolls. Please use the report function. The taunting of alleged evidence without production thereof will not be tolerated.
 #1346309  by Cosmo

Mikejf wrote:
Cosmo wrote: Smythe,... is that YOU Smythe? :P
Too funny Cosmo.
Ok, if this were FACEBOOK there's a whole lot of commentary I could be posting along with a few choice memes,.... but I respect the wishes of the moderators.
Imagination is a wonderful thing... sometimes. :wink:
 #1346312  by MEC407

Moderator Note:

Some of you were wondering why I didn't take action on this thread sooner, when it started to get weird.

Here's why: because I moderate 7 forums, each one with hundreds of topics and tens of thousands of posts. I don't have time to read every single post. I actually do try to read them all, which is more than most moderators do (or are expected to do), but occasionally a post or a topic will slip past me. I'm not omnipotent. :P

Jeff apparently was made aware of it before I was. I'm not sure if someone sent him a PM about it or if he stumbled onto it; regardless, I appreciate that he took the time to step in and calm the situation.

As Jeff said, if there's ever a problem or concern, please use the Report Post function. That way it'll be brought to the immediate attention of me or Jeff, and action can be taken as warranted.
 #1346450  by Sir Ray

MEC407 wrote:Moderator Note:I'm not omnipotent
Well, there's your problem - you need to be omniscient (all knowing), not omnipotent (all powerful).

Anyway, after I did that Google view over of the area and saw one, maybe two potential customer sites at most, perhaps the N. Brookfield guys should give up on this idea and try to buy the Medford branch from PAR - at least we know there are potential clients down that ways...
 #1346474  by Jeff Smith

My intrusion was related to the fact that I think I've posted in this thread before, so it popped up on my radar. I don't purposely moderate other's forums unless I see something. MEC does a great job. So my moderation was more in support of MEC, not a substitute.

We don't mind opposing opinions or opposition (thesaurus exhausted). But I could see it was taunting bordering on threats. I'm a put up or shut up kind of guy. I have no opinion on this operation other than my general pro-rail bias.