Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1154636  by freightguy

Could be, looks like the flour cars that head to Brookhaven Rail Terminal, followed by a plate F boxcar that snuck its way out there. That may be the lead along Conn. Ave....
 #1181025  by tahawus84

Went by Eastern fence today and they had maybe 15 cover hoppers on site. Was surprised to see they were taking so many cars now.

Metro still looks the same. No cars there.
 #1344823  by freightguy

The Town of Riverhead is a unique and beast almost seems to want to maintain their bucolic roots. Anywhere else a property of that size would probably thriving with a quite a few rail served industries in that park.

It reminds of when the LIRR cut in a switch on the mainline for 84 Lumber near Riverhead. Somehow I believe Riverhead Builders had influence over completing the siding. The switch was cut in around 2002/03 and was never placed into service. Ironically I believe 84 Lumber and Riverhead Builders both take lumber deliveries at the Brookhaven Rail Terminal. I believe even Eastern Fence has also taken a few cars there of lumber. About 5 years in I expected more activity by rail in Calverton. One of the gripes I believe about the Calverton spur is that bypasses the main part of the Enterprise Park where the businesses are located.
 #1344875  by Sir Ray

This was probably posted in this forum before, but Metro Fuel went bankrupt in 2012, and the assets were eventually brought by John Catsimatidis's United Metro Energy Corp.
Even before that, for some reason I recall Metro was going to center most (all?) production and storage at the Brooklyn plant, so that the Calverton facility became less important than originally planned.
 #1344932  by SemperFidelis

I worked in transportation management for Bonsal American (Sakrete) back when the plant at Calverton was being built. One of the things I was really pushing for was, when the line was finally rebuilt (it hadn't been at that point) for the new plant to accept hoppers of stone from an Oldcastle/Tilcon Quarry in CT (Oldcastle owns Sakrete). Put a lot of work in towards that end. The RRs were totally useless in our efforts to develop future rates, seeming to not want to move what would have amounted to half a dozen cars a day worth of stone...more in the peak season.

Long story short, we ended up barging the material in. I presume they still do, but they might truck it in from Brookhaven for all I know.

A few hundred feet of track and a decent rate is all it would take to get the business. I can't tell you how many times different railroads' lack of customer service or simply astronomical rate structures made us look elsewhere (trucks).
 #1345475  by freightguy

I worked in transportation management for Bonsal American (Sakrete) back when the plant at Calverton was being built. One of the things I was really pushing for was, when the line was finally rebuilt (it hadn't been at that point) for the new plant to accept hoppers of stone from an Oldcastle/Tilcon Quarry in CT (Oldcastle owns Sakrete). Put a lot of work in towards that end. The RRs were totally useless in our efforts to develop future rates, seeming to not want to move what would have amounted to half a dozen cars a day worth of stone...more in the peak season.

30 cars of stone a week I guess is a decent clip. Maybe cuts of 15 twice a week. I think Arriva Concrete near Moriches- Middle Island Road may receive that much. I think shipments of stone to Brookhaven Rail Terminal ceased as of now as most of the paving projects were further west where the asphalt plants are located. It would be nice to see stone shipments to Calverton where Skyy Materials is listed as being located.
 #1450490  by jayrmli

Anything new develop, customer-wise at Calverton? How often does it generally get switched?
Not very often. Only one customer in there and they usually go once every couple of weeks to switch out hopper cars. Doubtful NYA will look to actively market anyone else out there as it's more trouble than it's worth to switch them. Riverhead Building Supply has a presence there, but they receive cars at BRT already. The Town of Riverhead has been totally inept at developing that property since they got it. Other potential customers were so turned off by the Town's inaction they will not ship via rail (Mivilla Foods) or moved out of the Town altogether (Kamco Building Supply).
 #1450538  by Teutobergerwald

That's too bad, but not surprising. I've read of the Town of Riverhead making things difficult for companies wanting to use NYA service before. Thanks, Jay.