Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1341929  by RussNelson

shadyjay wrote:Most of the equipment at North Creek you can see from public roads/driveways. Only thing I really couldn't see was the Es, bilevels, and the old ALCO stored on the siding just south of the station. Without trespassing, you can only see the very north end of the siding.
Well certainly you can cross the tracks to get to the picnic area underneath the shelter.
 #1342017  by SlackControl

A friend of mine swung by North Creek on Friday on his way back from Lake George and got a pic of the two F40s. One was facing south inside the engine house, the other facing north on the lead to the house, getting paint and decals. So far they look good. Anybody know of any work that might be required to get them in full service, and when we might see their first appearance in service?
 #1343450  by traingeek8223

On the property for a few weeks now. The railroad needed more reliable/available power to make sure the trains keep running.

Here are my pics from yesterday:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThu ... ?id=111109
 #1343465  by griffs20soccer

Attached is the meeting minutes for the Warren County Board of Supervisors. Ed Ellis presented at the meeting the S&NC was going to start storing DOT-111 tank cars that have become surplus. He answers questions and makes reference to the purchase of the F40s. The local papers have been carrying the story with all the bomb train and hazardous waste site references in them. I was surprised no one posted anything about it. It's been a hot topic for about 2 weeks now. Remember at a past meeting Justin made the comment they had purchased a GP38 for delivery sometime this month.

Here is the link, hope it works.

http://www.warrencountyny.gov/gov/comm/ ... bkW6w8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
 #1343656  by Tadman

Thanks for posting the links to pics, they're cool. So what does that put them at - B39, BL2, (2) F40's, and whatever E's happen to be around from the IP pool?

And did the ex-DLW E8's ever get painted or are they still parked?
 #1343902  by RussNelson

griffs20soccer wrote:Does anyone know how many feet or miles of sidings and yard tracks at the mine there are on the Tahawus Branch that are in Essex County? I was just curious.
Don
There's a total of 2.7km of yard tracks. Slightly less of that is usable because that's measured from the end of the butt end of the points, not from the clearance point.
 #1343958  by traingeek8223

According to Kudish, "Stillwater" siding is a half mile long with the capacity for 63-80 cars (older cars were shorter). Probably room for 50 tanks. Last I knew there were a couple of out of service coaches stored there (some that were stored there have been sold off and removed). "Ordway" siding, just north of North Creek, is of similar length. There is little left as far as track is concerned at the mine. Only the runaround and wye remain to my knowledge.
 #1344012  by griffs20soccer

Thanks Matt. Ordway won't be used, Mr. Ellis stated the cars would not be stored in Warren county and would not be easily accessible. The pictures Russ and others have posted of the mine area show the tracks in place, but need brush cutting, ties, and lots of attention in order for them to support cars. The track north of the 'Y' to mine I believe was removed. The stone pile is well north of the current end of track , about 1 km.

Back in April Justin make note that they have purchased a GP38 and anticipated being delivered sometime in August. Has anybody seen it yet?
Don
 #1344061  by RussNelson

traingeek8223 wrote:According to Kudish, "Stillwater" siding is a half mile long with the capacity for 63-80 cars (older cars were shorter). Probably room for 50 tanks. Last I knew there were a couple of out of service coaches stored there (some that were stored there have been sold off and removed). "Ordway" siding, just north of North Creek, is of similar length. There is little left as far as track is concerned at the mine. Only the runaround and wye remain to my knowledge.
When I went through last May there was nothing on Stillwater. The yard remains, but only two tracks (runaround and main) are clear of brush. The wye has a washout on the south leg and the north leg is fouled by the snow plow not owned by the S&NC. There's a little track north of the wye, but at most a few hundred feet.
 #1344342  by Old Muley

I stopped by North Creek yesterday and caught the afternoon Saratoga train boarding passengers. The (2) F40's were on the point. Neither unit was in HEP mode. HEP was being supplied to the consist from one of the domes.

An employee told me that the plan is to eventually use the F40's for HEP.
They sure do look and sound great.

The E8's are still parked north of the yard, they have not been re-painted.
 #1344420  by Ocala Mike

New to this discussion - I had never heard of dome cars sufficiently powered to provide HEP to a consist. Doesn't S&NC own ex-AT&SF domes? Were they powered in AT&SF use or did S&NC modify them in some way?