Railroad Forums 

• Blue-light special in the Trolley Subway

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1284334  by ExCon90

Local fans will already know this, but for out-of-towners who may be considering a trip to Philadelphia, the trolley subway will shut down for major rehab during the first half of August. Just how major may be broadly gauged by the fact that the trolley subway will be closed continuously from 10:00 pm Friday, August 1 through 4:00 am Monday, August 18, affording an extremely rare opportunity to ride and photograph actual trolley cars on the diversion trackage during daylight hours, including three consecutive weekends.
 #1284634  by ExCon90

True, but does the signage (for out-of-towners) still call it that? I had the impression that the term Subway-Surface has for some reason been downplayed or eliminated outright by SEPTA (maybe about the time they "improved" the station naming on the line known to railfans as the P&W).
 #1284650  by ekt8750

SEPTA itself stopped calling it Subway Surface a few years ago too
 #1284716  by jayo

They also used to call the lines the Green lines. They still use green for them on the maps, and recently made 101 and 102 green as well. They'll probably start using Green lines again, considering more systems these days are moving to color coding.
 #1286489  by jackintosh11

I was there today. Not only is there a free interchange with the El, but the gates are open at the station and people who normally use the station get a free ride. Fares aren't being charged on the trolleys at boarding time, and the crowds, even in the middle of the day, are extremely large.
 #1286951  by trackwelder

jackintosh11 wrote:I assume that was coming from woodland? Do most trolleys from callowhill use the diversion tracks to get to woodland?
yup, it's the only way.
 #1342130  by ExCon90

Another shutdown began on July 31 and continues through August 16; another opportunity, presumably the last under present plans, to ride and photograph the diversion trackage in daylight.
 #1342137  by ChemiosMurphy

Is the 40th street stop on MFL free for everyone during this time? Doors are roped open on platform and no one was going through the turnstiles, my trailpass holding self included.

Septa had Transit Police directing traffic at 40th/Market and lots of staff on hand to help riders.
 #1342149  by ExCon90

I believe that's their normal policy during diversions. Contrary to some snarky comments you see here and there, SEPTA has the sense to recognize that decanting an entire passenger load from one trolley at the same time and requiring everybody to go through the turnstiles, by which time the next lot would be on their heels, would cause intolerable congestion (some of it on the stairs leading down from the street), so they don't do it.