Railroad Forums 

• No more NYA service east of Hicksville on the Pt. Jefferson

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1316463  by Teutobergerwald

I saw in another topic that Nassau-Suffolk Lumber in Huntington ceased receiving service from NYA, and that Kleet is going to do so also. It said Kleet was opting for receiving its goods out at the Brookhaven terminal. Is this all true? Why would Kleet have its products shipped to a yard 40 miles away instead of on-site on its own spur? And does this mean no more NYA service to the Huntington team track? Thanks.
 #1316566  by DogBert

Sounds like it. NY&A probably wants to save time and fuel against servicing a route with few customers. Maybe they gave kleet a sweat deal to go to BRT. Trucking goods from there might be cheaper than a rail crew running up the branch. Not sure I agree without knowing all the facts, but...
 #1317635  by jayrmli

There's a good chance they haven't had to pay the maintenance fees on that switch for awhile now anyway. All they would have to do is notify LIRR that they will not be using the switch anymore. If LIRR chose to, they could just remove the switch if they wanted.
 #1325716  by Teutobergerwald

NYA is still serving its Huntington-area customers, as of this morning. Around 1030 an NYA train was occupying the Northport siding, waiting to go west, with a GP38-2 up front. Couldn't see the other power or the make up of the consist, since I wasn't expecting to see that, given that post about NYA not serving Nassau-Suffolk Lumber anymore & delivering to Kleet out at Brookhaven Yard instead of direct in Huntington anymore.
 #1329046  by Teutobergerwald

I heard, but did not see for myself, that NYA came out to switch Kleet Lumber yesterday. Good that, for now, NYA is still serving Kleet directly. It doesn't make sense that Kleet would have product sent to Brookhaven Yard just to have it trucked back to Huntington when it can be delivered on-site as-needed.
 #1330157  by SwingMan

Not sure if it has any legs, but I would think NYAR would charge less for a delivery to Brookhaven because making a trip up the Port Jefferson branch is much more complicated and becoming more and more redundant since they are the last customer on the branch.
 #1332145  by milepost39

Teutobergerwald wrote:I heard, but did not see for myself, that NYA came out to switch Kleet Lumber yesterday. Good that, for now, NYA is still serving Kleet directly. It doesn't make sense that Kleet would have product sent to Brookhaven Yard just to have it trucked back to Huntington when it can be delivered on-site as-needed.
I can confirm it as my kids play baseball/softball at Peter Farrell park on Oakwood road, and the tracks are right there. On Sat 5/2 #271 came through eastbound with a box car and 4 or 5 lumber cars full, with #155 (?) bringing up the rear. A week later on Sat 5/9 I saw the same consist heading west but the cars were empty.

Pete
 #1340883  by rr503

This is slightly off topic, but here I go:
Is NY&A trying to consolidate all of their business on the main line west of riverhead and on the central branch?
Do any of you see them going out to the east end or onto any of the other branches which they don't serve?
I think they have been struck with the same disease as the class 1s...Trunk line syndrome :wink:
 #1479487  by LINYARailfan

Does the RS40 still switch Kleet on Saturday Mornings? Unless they changed the crew assignments, I haven't seen the RS40 the past few Saturday Mornings with cars for Kleet in Mineola. Do they still report to Fresh Pond or does the crew go out to Pine-Aire to pick up the lumber and run double end from Pine-Aire to Divide switch ends and run up the Port Jefferson to Duke and then switch Kleet and then head back to Divide, then switch ends and head back east to Pine-Aire?