Railroad Forums 

• Sappi Mills

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1341234  by riffian

A two part question for those in the know. Is the Sappi Skowhegan mill Panam's largest customer by carloadings? The Sappi mill at Westbrook, which I gather produces laminates of some kind, appears to be a minimal rail customer. Inbound loads of plastic pellets only?
 #1341276  by scb1021

The Sappi Westbrook mill produces release paper - it's reusable textured paper that is used for imprinting textures onto materials. The paper can then be reused many times for the same process. Loads are received every two to three weeks on average, normally consisting of around 5 to 15 cars. There's normally some slurry cars (calcium carbonate) and TiO2 cars, both used for glossy papers.
 #1341311  by S1f3432

Sappi in Westbrook uses market pulp to feed one paper machine with the paper going to several small coaters
to produce a release paper used in plastic molding operations. One example I was told about by an employee
was the krinkled surface of automobile dashboards. The lab has developed a product that resembles vinyl and
several years ago there was a display case with soccer balls, handbags and other items produced with this product,
but I don't know how much actual use it gets. The inbound tank cars are coatings for the paper. The pulp mill was
demolished years ago and I doubt anything has shipped by rail since they stopped making printing paper.

The Hinkley mill may very well be the largest shipper but Jay would also be a contender- I don't have access to
traffic statistics.
 #1341359  by gokeefe

Verso in Jay is far and away the largest paper mill in Maine. I base that statement on data regarding waste water discharges which Jay does more of, by a lot, than any other.

That being the case I would imagine that RUPO/PORU is probably mostly traffic from Jay. Unlike other mills Jay/Rumford still has a local job operating with multiple shifts, unheard of anywhere else on PAR in Maine outside of Rigby Yard.
 #1341361  by BostonUrbEx

The Sappi mill in Hinckley has it's own switchers, but they're third party contractors. Also, Rileys may be the largest mill and have the largest production line, but they may not necessarily be shipping the most carloads on PAR. I don't know which it is, but I would say either Rileys or Hinckley as well.
 #1341391  by roberttosh

At one time Jay produced the most tons in Maine if not the country, but for some reason I think Sappi at Shawmut has surpassed them.
 #1341398  by CN9634

gokeefe wrote:Verso in Jay is far and away the largest paper mill in Maine. I base that statement on data regarding waste water discharges which Jay does more of, by a lot, than any other.

That being the case I would imagine that RUPO/PORU is probably mostly traffic from Jay. Unlike other mills Jay/Rumford still has a local job operating with multiple shifts, unheard of anywhere else on PAR in Maine outside of Rigby Yard.
Must have forgotten about Waterville yard... Also since Sappi is so close to Waterville they likely don't need to do much but shuttle cars from mill to yard. Also Sappi has a third party rail contractor who switches 24/7 at the mill at least with two crews
 #1341409  by roberttosh

They used to run a POSD right to the mill but as CN9634 pointed out probably just easier to run locals up from Waterville.
 #1341416  by highrail

Is the mill operation in Jay visible from the public streets? I was looking at the satellite map and it looks kind of iffy to get shots of the rail action, but hoping that someone here will know better. Thanks!

Steve
 #1341431  by KSmitty

highrail wrote:Is the mill operation in Jay visible from the public streets? I was looking at the satellite map and it looks kind of iffy to get shots of the rail action, but hoping that someone here will know better. Thanks!

Steve
Nope! Cant really see any of the switchers, but when they make setoffs and pickups the switchers/road jobs are visible for moments.

If you really want to watch mill switchers, I would recomend RU-1 in Rumford. The mill is easily visible from 2.5 sides, including a bridge with broad sidewalks on both sides that crosses over between the yard and the mill yard.
 #1341456  by highrail

Thanks ksmitty.. Rumford it will be! I caught the tail end of operation at the Berlin mills ans was shocked about a year later when everything disappeared.
Steve
 #1341477  by gokeefe

Seems quite likely. Nice timing going in to a strengthening economy.
 #1341502  by WN&P

Of course LePage has to blow the steampipe about it risking workers jobs with Catalyst in Rumford. If they own mills on both sides of the border and duties shift production between one mill to the other is that really going to bother them. They are still making revenue, just from a different location.