Railroad Forums 

• TTRR question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#13148  by nycrick

While train watching at Hallet on Wednesday 4/14 a train came off of CSX and went west on the TT. This train had about 15-20 empty gondolas (CSXT) and 15-20 empty hoppers (SOCX). I didn't know there was any industry in that direction that would need that many empties. Or might they have gone onto storage at Temperance Yard?

#13400  by matt

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/imag ... ew=A&t=pan

OK Jim, I've seen the move I think you saw also. While storage at Temperance is a possibility, I believe these cars, which came north from Walbridge, were for the Ann Arbor. In order for CSX to get them into Ottawa Yard, they must fly past Hallett, enter the TT, and then enter the siding that dives south off the the TT, just east of the NS Detroit main, as the map shows. I think this siding is double track and allows the power to run around the train, otherwise they'd have to back into Ottawa. It is also a signaled siding and I once saw CSX take autoracks by a yellow signal southward on this piece of trackage. I posted on this sight and someone said they were for the AA so I'm guessing the same is true here.

On the map (sorry but you have to pay to get a closer shot) you can see this piece of trackage that actually once served several businesses as it curled almost, or perhaps a complete loop around the area.

I am not positive about what I have written but it's my best guess, I also hope we hear something for sure because this move caught me by surprise when I saw it.

#14094  by burp621

I believe the customer in question here is OmniSource. They have a siding at CP-K either off the NS Detroit Main or off the old TT. I believe that this is a large metal scrap yard.

Enjoy,

Burp :D

#14114  by nycrick

burp621,
I think you're right about that. I remember hearing the word "Omni" on the scanner. And I saw a bunch of cars sitting on the siding by "K" today.

Thanks