Railroad Forums 

• MM&A Caboose?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1190216  by JBConn

For what purpose does MM&A frequently (but apparently not always) place a caboose among or just behind the power on some of their trains?

For example: http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=209009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes for train on left heading away, but not (as far as I can tell) on the train on the right heading towards camera.
 #1190229  by MEC407

They're not "real" cabooses at this stage of their lives; they're remote control systems that allow for single-man crews.
 #1198573  by PEIR

When they are using the R/C platform do they use the whole consist or is just the lead unit under load?
 #1198576  by MEC407

The RC platform is MU'd to the consist, allowing the remote control operator to operate the entire consist no differently than if he was at the control stand of the lead locomotive.
 #1198579  by PEIR

Thanks for the quick reply!
 #1198856  by KSmitty

I believe, as far as the FRA is concerned the cabooses (VB-1 through VB-4) are classified as locomotives at this point. The have the "F" stenciled on the frame designating a front and rear, they are equipped with horns, headlights and all the hoses and cables required to MU into the locomotive lineup.

In addition to the 4 cabooses, MM&A 8578 is set up with the RCO equipment, and there may be others at this point as they have been expanding RCO use...
 #1334759  by MEC407

Bye-bye, MMA cabeese...

Photo by Frank Jolin:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/533806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1334764  by PEIR

Any idea where they are headed?
 #1334771  by KSmitty

Kind of interesting that 2 were patched out and renumbered/lettered and 2 are still in full MM&A colors.
 #1334773  by Dick H

I wonder if the remote control equipment is still mounted inside the cabooses,
or was removed and sold off..
 #1334838  by fogg1703

Dick H wrote:I wonder if the remote control equipment is still mounted inside the cabooses,
or was removed and sold off..
Given that Horizon Rail deals in mostly switching/terminal/in-plant locomotives, I would assume the controls are still intact to be used in conjunction with their lease locomotives just as MMA did.
 #1334910  by NHV 669

PEIR wrote:Any idea where they are headed?
As noted, two to Horizon.

Per the VRS Yahoo Group, the other two are destined for Belvidere & Delaware River/Black River & Western.