Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in Kamloops and Surrounding Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1331800  by DanielRailfan

Hello! This will be my first post on this forum, and hopefully first of many. I have just bought a good Panasonic Lumix FZ70 camera and accessories, and I am ready to do some Railfanning! I will be in Kamloops for a while, and I was wondering if anyone knows of good places to film trains around there. I have already been to the station on the south part of the city, and it was very nice. If anyone knows places, rural and urban, to photograph, film and watch trains in and near Kamloops, it would be much appreciated. Thank you! :-)
 #1331856  by NorthWest

The Fraser River Canyon is busy, and absolutely fantastic. Since CN and CP split in Kamloops, you will see the most trains west of there. Cisco and just south of Ashcroft are favorite locations, but anywhere you can see both mains is good. To the east, the lines through Banf and Jasper National Parks are gorgeous. Rodgers Pass also has much to commend it. Explore a bit on satellite maps, as the locations are almost endless.
 #1331866  by DanielRailfan

Very nice, next time I drive through there I will surely stop and photograph some trains! I have been to Ashcroft, and this is nearby so I will most likely go there, and yes, it is nice to see both of the mains! That is what I like about Kamloops. I have been to Jasper National Park and Rodgers Pass and the scenery is breathtaking, and if I pass through there I will also stop and do some railfanning! I will explore it on sat maps, and I would like to say thank you for responding to both of my topics, I am very grateful that you are helping me, a beginner railfan, get the most out of everything! :-D
 #1332012  by NorthWest

No problem; I'm happy to provide spotting information. You live in a wonderful place.
The popular spot near Ashcroft is actually about 5 miles south, where both CN and CP tunnel into the bluff. See 50°39'55.27"N,
121°18'45.13"W.
Have fun!
 #1332028  by DanielRailfan

I am very grateful for your help, and I think you are right! Today I made it to the station again, and I took pictures of a multitude of different trains! Do you think I should post them on here? And that is very nice, I was wondering where the nicest spot as I was looking on Google Maps, and I would like to say thank you for this tip on this location. Soon I will travel to Vancouver via HWY 1, thus I will pass through Ashcroft and the Fraser River Valley, so I will be able to go to the Ashcroft spot and the canyon too. Thank you!
 #1332125  by NorthWest

Some drive in on the gravel roads that are close, but since I believe these are private, you may want to hike in from the road. It is a bit over two miles (IIRC) from a rest stop south of there. The view is worth it.
 #1371050  by cnr1949

When I visit Kamloops I take my bike. I usually stay at one of the motels along the main drag bordering downtown. There's a fine bike trail along the North Thompson River - from downtown cross the CPR mainline tracks beside the CPR station, then head west through Riverside Park, over the Overlander Bridge, then angle right until you come to the river trail. The trail will take you north and underneath the CNR mainline bridge.

Alternatively, you can cross CPR tracks downtown, head east, cross the Thompson River on the old wooden bridge, and heading north on quieter paved roads, reach CNR station on the east side of the North Thompson river. You can sit at the station and watch the action in CN Yards.

Another nice bike trip is to head west on the road alongside the CNR mainline - you can ride for several miles until the paved road crosses the CNR mainline. Right there is a good place to catch trains at speed.

From the north end of the Overlander bridge you can loop beneath the bridge and head west on the bike trail which takes you along the north bank of the Thompson River from which you can see CPR trains across the river.