Railroad Forums 

• CSX ex B&O North of Deshler and south through Lima

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#13158  by Hoosierailnut

I was wondering how much traffic goes up and down the old B&O through Lima and Deshler? I know the line north of Deshler was rehabbed before the Conrail split and for a time was out of service. Can still remember seeing the line in 1991 and 1993 were it crossed US 6. The signals were turned aside and the rails were pretty rusty.
South of Deshler how much traffic goes down through Lima and onto Cincinatti? Does CSX divert any trains off the old Conrail Bee Line down at Sidney?
 #13282  by MSchwiebert

I'll take a stab at this...
Currently the train count north of Deshler is in a state of flux due to the closure of Stanley yard. Prior to the closure, there were 6-8 daily mainfests that operated north of Deshler. With the closure however, this number has dropped to 3-5 per day. Basically if the train has to work Walbridge yard, it will operate via Fostoria. Unit Ore, coal & ballast still operate via Bates though.

South of Deshler the Toledo sub gains 16-20 trains per day off of the southeast & southwest wye tracks.

At Sidney, a connection track was installed in the southeast quadrant prior to 6-1-99. I'm not certain of the number of trains that operate over this connection, but I would guess 6-8 per day.

As an aside, the track north of Deshler was never officially taken out of service during the 1990's. It was closed to through traffic from about 1990-1997. The CTC was still active, but the trains (grain trains to Custar/Tontogany & the Perrysburg local) operated under verbal permission due to the rusty rails.

A good source to check for train symbols that would operate via the Toledo sub is www.bullsheet.com

Hope this helps!

#13365  by Hoosierailnut

I read on another forum CSX has eliminated some postions out of Lima yards. How true is this?
Ive always been a fan of the old B&O between Toledo and Cinci as this line is pretty easy to railfan in that I 75 runs right along it pretty close....

#13659  by CG Tower

I do not believe any crews have been cut in Lima other then the crews that used to run the former Ft. Wayne line. Traffic on the Toledo Sub as warranted the addtion of two trains (Q516/517) to keep up.

Average train count by CG Tower (Columbus Grove, Ohio) is 27 per 24 hour period. Daylight moves really can be rather frustrating at time, but mornings and mid to late afternoons are the best in traffic.

CG Tower

#13925  by Hoosierailnut

Does this line still use the CPL signals? I was in Wapakoneta and noticed the old ultility lines were still up and they looked to be in good shape no dangling wires or such.. Didnt see any signals as we were in a hurry to get home and i didnt have time to railfan much..

#13932  by CG Tower

Yes, CSX still uses CPL's on the Toledo Sub at least from Wapakoneta north to Perry. These signals can be found at interlockings (sans a few locations) and at least in one location as an intermediate. Concentrations of CPL's can be found at Deshler, Ottawa, Leipsic, Cairo and at North Lima/DT&I Jct..

However, get your photos soon. It is rumored CSX is going to begin to replace these signals within the year. They were not removed en-masse when the signal system was upgraded a few years ago to Electro-code.

CG

#13957  by dti407

CG Tower wrote:Yes, CSX still uses CPL's on the Toledo Sub at least from Wapakoneta north to Perry. These signals can be found at interlockings (sans a few locations) and at least in one location as an intermediate. Concentrations of CPL's can be found at Deshler, Ottawa, Leipsic, Cairo and at North Lima/DT&I Jct..

However, get your photos soon. It is rumored CSX is going to begin to replace these signals within the year. They were not removed en-masse when the signal system was upgraded a few years ago to Electro-code.

CG
That's more of an incentive to save more money up for a nice camera and soon :-)

#14039  by CG Tower

[quote="dti407 That's more of an incentive to save more money up for a nice camera and soon :-)[/quote]

Roger that Greg! I am already making plans to photo the entire line signal by signal this summer. Also going to use some "favors" from a CSX contact to get access to some of the harder to reach places. My intentions are pure, photo the signals and arrangments and that's it. A train going by is nice, but at this point in the game I am just wanting to save what I can to film. All of this will hopefully be placed on my CPL site in time.

:wink:

#14215  by Hoosierailnut

Too bad they are going be be replaced but arent the CPL signals like over 75 years old? I was told by an ex B&O engineer the signals on the line through Garret were put up like in the mid 1920s or so.. I also heard CSX cant get parts made for them anymore the reaosn they are being phased out...

#14309  by CG Tower

[quote="Hoosierailnut"]Too bad they are going be be replaced but arent the CPL signals like over 75 years old? I was told by an ex B&O engineer the signals on the line through Garret were put up like in the mid 1920s or so.. I also heard CSX cant get parts made for them anymore the reaosn they are being phased out...[/quote]

This is correct. The Third Subdivision of the Toledo Division (between Lima and Toledo) was one of the earliest installations of CPL's on the B&O as was several location out in Maryland and also portions of the Garrett Subdivision.

Parts are a factor (even though several B&O lines have been removed that used to have CPL's so parts could be recycled). But I believe safety is the biggest concern. With the advanced age of the signals (and bridges, cantilevers, masts, etc), I believe injuries could take place to a maintainer if something were to break or fail.

CSX also has the desire to standardize their signaling system, the CPL's are a bit "non-standard" compared to the Safetran style color lights you see now.

CG Tower