Railroad Forums 

• System Track Schematic

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1292974  by JDC

#1292987  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
These are great. Any reason you don't use "Noma" as a description? Old habit?

Noma is an acronym, to anybody that doesn't know what it is an abbreviation of, it's Greek. I'm not fan of acronyms as evident it the posts I make. Fact is I despise acronyms.

You will also notice I didn't use the hyphenated station names either. I prefer the legacy names over the hyphenated names because the hyphenated names were created to appease some group, developer or political constituency.

Here are some other track schematics:
District of Columbia H Street Benning Road Streetcar Track Schematic
Maryland Transit Administration Baltimore Light Rail Track Schematic
Maryland Transit Administration Baltimore Metro Track Schematic

Also have a bart track schematic, but it needs updating.
 #1298005  by degrees83

Where do the 2 grey arrows leading to from the Pentagon?

Great schematics! I have always been looking for something like this!
 #1298062  by Sand Box John

"degrees83"

Provision for a future route along Columbia Pike to Baileys Crossroads and Lincolnia.

03 01 1968 Adopted Regional System

Similar provisions exist south of Huntington, north of Glenmont and east of Largo. Similar provision for the now open Silver line were also built.
 #1312948  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Sand Box John wrote:"degrees83"

Provision for a future route along Columbia Pike to Baileys Crossroads and Lincolnia.

03 01 1968 Adopted Regional System

Similar provisions exist south of Huntington, north of Glenmont and east of Largo. Similar provision for the now open Silver line were also built.

SBJ- Either PM or email me, I wanted to ask you something offline regarding track schematics, Thx
 #1326853  by Sand Box John

Updated the comprehensive version of 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic to reflect the changes in the layout of Dulles Yard from the preliminary engineering to the final engineering.

Final engineering plan shows provision for a 6th shop track with 4 servicing bays, expansion of administrative space in shop building, area for warehouse expansion, a 2 track heavy damage repair shop and 5 yard storage tracks that can hold 60 more cars.

I have no plans to up date any of the other schematics posted at my Flickr Photostream to reflect changes to the Silver line or anywhere else on the railroad.
 #1326992  by The EGE

You've got some odd rendering bugs in the upper left area - the line color dots are off, and the signal symbols aren't rendered properly. I don't mean to take away from the map as a whole, though - this is incredible.
 #1327013  by YOLO

Not familiar with the map, what are stuff like "A98 Hungerford Drive" and "N91 Plainfield Street" referring to - were they sites for future infill stations that got scrapped, are there switching equipment there, etc?
 #1327124  by Sand Box John

"The EGE"
You've got some odd rendering bugs in the upper left area - the line color dots are off, and the signal symbols aren't rendered properly. I don't mean to take away from the map as a whole, though - this is incredible.

Had some issues when I was inserting the revised Dulles Yard into the schematic, Corrected on the rest of the drawing noticed the error in the legend after posting. Couldn't delete and replace with the correction to the legend as it would have created a dead link.

Here is the drawing with the corrected legend: WMATA Comprehensive 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic

"YOLO"
Not familiar with the map, what are stuff like "A98 Hungerford Drive" and "N91 Plainfield Street" referring to - were they sites for future infill stations that got scrapped, are there switching equipment there, etc?

Neither are RTUs for future infill stations.

A98 is the RTU that is used to monitor and control switch gear in the Hungerford Drive traction power tie breaker station. It is physically located at Collage Parkway and Hungerford Drive.

N91 is the RTU that is used to monitor and control switch gear in the Plainfield Street traction power substation and train control room for the Falls Church Yard lead interlocking and adjacent track on either side. It is physically located between the dead end of Plainfield Street and the eastbound shoulder of the Dulles Connector Road.

All of the other descending RTUs along the Silver line along with N5 do the same functions as N91.

Mind you, what is shown for phase II of the Sliver line is provisional, as the information was compiled from the preliminary engineering drawings
 #1327528  by schmod

What's the purpose of the siding between Herndon and Reston? As far as I can tell, there are no other dead-end side tracks like that in the system...
 #1327629  by Sand Box John

"schmod"
What's the purpose of the siding between Herndon and Reston? As far as I can tell, there are no other dead-end side tracks like that in the system...

Maintenance of way staging. There will also be a gate in the right of way barrier to allow road vehicle access from the westbound Dulles Access Road. It is long enough to hold an 8 car train for trippers.
 #1347445  by Sand Box John

Track Schematics have been updated again to correct some errors I noticed and couple of new ones have been added.

WMATA Comprehensive 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic

WMATA Comprehensive 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (Hindsight)

WMATA Comprehensive 106 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic

All of the track schematic are now hosted at picasaweb.google.com/./TrackSchematics

All of the Track Schematics hosted at flickr.com have been deleted.
 #1347932  by wrivlin

Do you think you could post these in a vector format? It would be cool to be able to use these to make my own maps just for fun. Thanks!
 #1348049  by Sand Box John

"wrivlin"
Do you think you could post these in a vector format? It would be cool to be able to use these to make my own maps just for fun. Thanks!

The drawings were created and edited over the years using Microsoft Paint. They can be easily manipulated by using Copy and Paste. Don't have the tools to convert to vector format, if you do, you are welcome to do so.

The versions I did with DesignCAD have not been updated sense the late 1990s.

If you do make and publish your own don't forget to credit the source.