Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1137698  by Missyg24

Wabash was in Enola friday.
CNJ was in the shops in Enola friday.
Dlw came from Baltimore to Enola (early friday morning) bound west toward Altoona (saturday mid day).
 #1137801  by Gadfly

Missyg24 wrote:Wabash was in Enola friday.
CNJ was in the shops in Enola friday.
Dlw came from Baltimore to Enola (early friday morning) bound west toward Altoona (saturday mid day).

Were they hauling cans of "Altoona"? :) :) :)
 #1319413  by MEC407

There's a "new" NS heritage unit, and boy is it a beauty!

Photo by Casey Thomason:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=520846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1319424  by Gadfly

MEC407 wrote:There's a "new" NS heritage unit, and boy is it a beauty!

Photo by Casey Thomason:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=520846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, yes! How that brings back the memories!! "Order # 405(four naught five) to Engine 3170 (thirty one seventy & Engine 5005 (fifty naught five) Coupled, Yard and Yardmaster, Conductor French. (period). Engines 3170 (thirty one seventy) & 5005 (Fifty naught five) runs extra Charlotte Junction (spell) to Arrowood Yard (spell) not protecting against Extra (spell) trains. (Period)." ........................................... "Southern Gives a Green Light to Innovations." "Look Ahead, Look South"! Second Trick Operator full of Hot Shot Pig trains. Seems like yesterday! :-)
 #1319728  by MEC407

I heard that too, but apparently it's not true, at least according to NS.

Here's another shot of the new/old beauty:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/521212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1320544  by MEC407

Photo by Casey Thomason:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=522206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1320664  by MEC407

That would be nice. An ES44AC would look great in D&H lightning stripes.
 #1320755  by MEC407

I think the original question was related to the fact that NS is in the process of purchasing the southern half of the D&H from CP. Whether or not NS would do a heritage unit for the D&H, I have no idea. Stranger things have happened, though.
 #1320833  by scottychaos

Marty Feldner wrote:They didn't do a Lehigh & Hudson River unit- which was one of the six roads that formed Conrail. Why would they do D&H?
They probably didnt do a L&HR unit because NS is not operating on any L&HR trackage..
So yes, L&HR went into Conrail, but L&HR is really no part of NS at all..not enough to warrant a heritage unit anyway! ;)
(they might own the track around Warwick, but they aren't operating it..NYSW operates it.)

When NS takes over Scranton to Albany from CP, the section from Binghamton to Albany is original D&H mainline,
and Binghamton to Scranton was original DL&W, then became D&H..
so it would make sense for them to do a D&H heritage unit..although we dont know if they are planning to add new units
to the "heritage program" as new trackage is acquired..my guess would be no, they are not planning that.

Scot
 #1320838  by MEC407

True, although no one imagined they'd do an in-kind rebuild of a high-nose SD40 and repaint it in SOU colors... so I stand by my "stranger things have happened" comment. :wink:
 #1325695  by CN9634

Consider who still owns the D&H.... CP is not giving up the image or company just part of the trackage.

In the random thought department, does anyone else see the NYC heritage unit as the black sheep? Whenever I see NYC in the post-Conrail/PC world I think CSX. I know NS does have some old NYC trackage but it's strange. Same goes for PRR and CSX but they have yet to make a heritage program.
 #1325709  by MEC407

Yes, I've thought the same thing... and that's why it wouldn't shock me if NS did a DH unit. It seems to be more about the heritage of the tracks they run on than about strictly corporate heritage.