Railroad Forums 

• Site Issues and Improvements

• Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.
Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1316451  by Jeff Smith

Hi All,

Railroad.net is on a new server. The old server was up while the new site was being prepared, so it's possible some posts in that time period were lost. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm already aware of the "line 18 error" and we're working on it. Please post any other issues here.

There may also be registration issues. However, once the process is complete, we're hoping that the issues of the recent months will be behind us.

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff
 #1316555  by MEC407

Thanks for your hard work, Jeff!

Any chance that topic reply notifications via email will be restored once the new server gets ironed out? And the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics?
 #1316890  by Tommy Meehan

I too appreciate the work that goes into maintaining this site. I also thank you for informing us. Another forum I use also went through the changeover to a new server recently. However they gave plenty of advance warning so members would know to expect possible problems. That made the changeover a lot easier for everyone.
 #1316895  by BandA

A mysql database administrator should be able to recover the missing posts from the final state of the old server. Select the posts newer than the backup used to create the new server. Care would have to be taken with new threads created, and the insertion of the posts would have to be tested.
 #1317004  by charlie6017

Tommy Meehan wrote:I too appreciate the work that goes into maintaining this site. I also thank you for informing us. Another forum I use also went through the changeover to a new server recently. However they gave plenty of advance warning so members would know to expect possible problems. That made the changeover a lot easier for everyone.
Same here......thanks so much for your work. I'm very grateful and happy to hear of the improvements! :-)

Charlie
 #1317036  by MEC407

Wow! Topic reply notifications via email are back with a vengeance! I think it's been a couple years since they stopped working. Very glad to have them back — as well as the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics! As a moderator this makes my life MUCH easier.
 #1317215  by ApproachMedium

Fianlly getting the topic emails, but pretty much all of them are weeks behind, and some repeatedly come in even though no replies have been made. A step in the right direction though!
 #1317221  by MEC407

Same here. Been getting emails from February 1, February 2, and February 3. Wondering if the server will eventually catch up, or if they're always going to be 10 days behind from here on out...?
 #1317259  by Rbts Stn

This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.
 #1317369  by charlie6017

Rbts Stn wrote:This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.
 #1317561  by ACeInTheHole

charlie6017 wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.
Rbts.... lolololololololol
 #1318405  by 4400Washboard

charlie6017 wrote:
Haha :-)
MEC407 wrote:Wow! Topic reply notifications via email are back with a vengeance! I think it's been a couple years since they stopped working. Very glad to have them back — as well as the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics! As a moderator this makes my life MUCH easier.
Any way to disable them? Some threads pop up over and over again while others do not
 #1318412  by ApproachMedium

It looks like the over and over stuff has finally stopped. All my emails in the last two days have been relievent and on topic. lol
 #1318414  by MEC407

4400Washboard wrote:Any way to disable them? Some threads pop up over and over again while others do not
I think this is how you'd disabled them. Go to User Control Panel --> click the Board Preferences tab --> click Edit Posting Defaults --> change the last one from Yes to No
Attachments:
Screen shot 2015-02-20 at 4.41.29 PM.gif
Screen shot 2015-02-20 at 4.41.29 PM.gif (38.48 KiB) Viewed 45397 times