System Map

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

newpylong

System Map

Post by newpylong » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this one - it's new to me: http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... stemap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea what Pan Am Overhead Rights or or why they would have them way up on the old BAR.

BostonUrbEx

Re: System Map

Post by BostonUrbEx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Been around a couple years, I think. Was even made by one of our forum members -- fun fact.

F-line to Dudley via Park

Post by F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:41 pm

The "ST" on the Mountain in Vermont is a deviously hilarious touch.

KSmitty

Post by KSmitty » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:42 pm

The thing I don't understand about that is the difference between overhead rights and haulage rights.

I do understand the differences between trackage, and haulage, but "overhead" is a new term to me and I've never gotten a clear answer on the difference.

newpylong

Post by newpylong » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 pm

I think the site database was restored to a previous version. A lot of posts are missing here.

Anyway, me neither. Never heard of the term.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:26 am

newpylong wrote:I think the site database was restored to a previous version. A lot of posts are missing here.
Yeah, everything I posted yesterday (Saturday) is gone. I don't know what happened. :-\
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

Cowford

Post by Cowford » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Overhead rights is just another term for the common form of trackage rights, i.e., connecting railroad A with railroad C (or back with railroad A via a better route than railroad A could have provided on its own lines) via railroad B, without rights for railroad A to serve customers on railroad B. I don't understand how the haulage/trackage/overhead rights are defined in the context of the map, however. PAR's rights on MBTA would be considered the other form, that being "full service" trackage rights as they have (exclusive) rights to serve industry within the former B&M commuter territory. (Ok, exclusive excepting industries within the Boston switching district that are open to CSX.)

BostonUrbEx

Post by BostonUrbEx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:47 pm

I'm guessing PAR's rights on NBSR/EMRY in Maine has something to do with their former Woodland Running Track up by Calais. Then the limits of the rights were improperly conveyed to the map-maker or improperly displayed by the map-maker. Or perhaps is also has something to do with getting to an NBSR interchange without adding EMRY to the waybill (I recall reading that a minimal number of railroads on a waybill is typically "better" for some reason?). That would have been handy when PAR was running POSJ/WASJ, particularly as a part of their Blue Nose service, where there was a coordination between PAR, NBSR, and CN to serve a Halifx-PAR and beyond routing.

F-line to Dudley via Park

Post by F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Since this post got eaten yesterday, here are the big errors on the Pan Am system map:

-- They have all the lines PAR owns outright tagged in the legend as "overhead rights".
-- The Springfield Line technically IS overhead rights because CSOR has all local biz and PAS can only use the length of it for the interchanges and to access the Highland. But the map calls it "trackage rights" and offers no overhead option for PAS in the legend.

At least it's geographically accurate now. The old website map prior to this looked like it was done on an Etch-a-Sketch.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 pm

I have a paper copy of the map and I believe I saw our own Otto Vondrak credited in small print. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions if you send him a PM.
MEC407
Moderator:

newpylong

Post by newpylong » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:24 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Since this post got eaten yesterday, here are the big errors on the Pan Am system map:

-- They have all the lines PAR owns outright tagged in the legend as "overhead rights".
-- The Springfield Line technically IS overhead rights because CSOR has all local biz and PAS can only use the length of it for the interchanges and to access the Highland. But the map calls it "trackage rights" and offers no overhead option for PAS in the legend.

At least it's geographically accurate now. The old website map prior to this looked like it was done on an Etch-a-Sketch.
No, PAS has Trackage Rights over the Springfield line. Trackage rights can include rights to consignees, interchanges, or none of the above. It all depends on what was applied and granted.

In the most basic form, "Trackage Rights" means the tenant RR runs it's own trains using it's own crews. "Haulage Rights" means the host moves your cars for you. NS has trackage rights over DH to Mechanicville (with no customer rights) and then haulage rights into Ayer. PAS has trackage rights w/consignee rights over the NECR. VRS/WACR has haulage rights between their RRs at Bellows Falls and WRJ. Etc and so on.

B&M 1227

Post by B&M 1227 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:05 pm

What's the deal with the North Bennington scenario, where Pan Am operates to North Bennington to interchange with VTR but according to the map does not explicitly have trackage/haulage/overhead rights?
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch

The EGE

Post by The EGE » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:50 pm

The B&A Highland Branch - a light rail line since 1959 - is shown as mainline rail, and there's a nonexistent spur marked where it meets the line to Medfield.

CN9634

Post by CN9634 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 pm

No information about transload, intermodal or specific terminals for certain commodities. Look at most Class I and regional maps and they provide this information. Granted that shouldn't per say hinder a shipping decision but it seems a basic thing.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:27 pm

The paper version of the map has a lot more info on it than the web version.
MEC407
Moderator:

Return to “Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)”