Railroad Forums 

• Connections between MNR and LIRR.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1314556  by railfan365

With regard to most railroads being connected to the national rail network - is ask: Are therer any convenient connections between LIRR and MNR? And can MNR trains go over the Hell Gate Bridge? Thanks.
 #1314572  by Backshophoss

The only convient connection between MNR and LIRR is via Amtrak's Hellgate line from Harold to New Rochelle.
Amtrak's Empire Connection could be used as a emergency connection.
LIRR via NY&A(freight operator)can connect with the P+W,CSX,and NJNY(Port Authorty of NY/NJ)
at Fremont/Fresh Pond/Bay Ridge.
MNR connects with CSX(via Amtrak's Hudson line),P+W,and CSOR at New Haven,PAR at Waterbury,
and an "unfriendly" connection with HRRC at Danbury.
In the past,there have been equpiment moves on the Hellgate route between MNR and LIRR,
MNR isplanning on service on the Hellgate route,AFTER LIRR's service begins on the ESA
line to GCT.
 #1314575  by mvb119

Metro North trains can theoretically operate their trains over the Hell Gate Bridge but cannot go too much further than that because the frequency changes from 60hz to 25hz not far after the bridge around Gate Interlocking and Metro North's electric trains on the New Haven Line are not able to run off of 25hz.If New Haven Line trains ever do run into Penn Station, the plan is to extend the 3rd rail further east of Harold to allow trains to changeover on the fly similar to what they do on the New Haven Line between Pelham and Mount Vernon East going towards Grand Central.
 #1314641  by ex Budd man

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember the third rail collectors are different on Metro North and Long Island. on is overriding and the other is under riding.
 #1314645  by nomis

That's correct, but for the M8's they have a a newer type of shoe that works for both types of third rail.