Railroad Forums 

• Lamoille Valley thread and Conversion to Rail Trail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1357397  by thebigham

Ed Lewis, a veteran of the short line railroad industry and a well known author and photographer, has died. His railroad career spanned 45 years and included terms at Long Island RR, Arcade & Attica RR, Providence & Worcester RR, Strasburg RR and Lamoille Valley RR.

He served as president of the Aberdeen & Rockfish RR from 1987 until his retirement in 2007. Ed was a well-respected leader in the short line railroad industry and authored several publications including “The American Shortline Railway Guide”, “The Road of Personal Service – A Centennial History” (co-authored with Jim Wrinn) and “Wellsville, Addison & Galeton Railroad – The Sole Leather Line”. His photos of short lines have appeared in many publications.

When I joined the railroad industry over thirty years ago Ed was "Mr. Short Line" and was one of the first to reach out and make me feel welcome. I felt honored to count him as a friend. He will be missed.

- Alan Maples

Ed's obituary is here:

http://www.thepilot.com/obituaries/edwa ... d1c91.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1358471  by MikeVT2016

Are original bridge designs keep by the RR or the state? We had some questions on one of the bridges over the Lamoille. I found some history but it was limited.

Mike
 #1373771  by MikeVT2016

That's the smaller bridge next to highway 15. I've been looking for information on the curved bridge that spans the Lamoille.
 #1374060  by thebigham

I have a pic from eBay that shows the LVRC flanger coupled to IREX #14 which looks to be a 44 tonner.

Did the LVRC ever have #14 on their property?

I posted the pic on the LVRC Facebook page.
 #1622805  by Jeff Smith

https://www.10news.com/this-new-rail-tr ... ew-england
This new rail trail in Vermont will be the longest in New England
The Lamoille Valley Rail Trail (LVRT), scheduled for completion this spring, follows along “the former 93-mile Lamoille Valley Railroad rail line from St. Johnsburgy to Swanton” in northern Vermont, according to the project’s website. It is a 10-foot wide trail with a compacted stone surface, a 2-foot grass shoulder on each side and wheelchair-accessible grades.

Vermont Tourism tweeted about the soon-to-be-completed trail, which is already open in most locations for outdoor fitness enthusiasts and will be New England’s longest rail trail.
 #1622940  by New Haven 1

It will never be a railroad again. Environmental laws which were established long after the railroad was built ensure this.
There are many railroads operating today that would not be allowed to be constructed under such regulations.
Don't get me wrong by thinking that I'm against these laws as I'm not.

What I'm against is the false pretense that trail enthusiasts present when pushing for rail removal part of which is the claim that "This way the right of way can be preserved for future rail use" when they are fully aware the afore mentioned environmental laws would completely prohibit relaying the tracks.

Another claim for these is for "The enjoyment of all". Really? Can anyone explain to me how an anyone who is not physically fit enough to ride a bicycle or walk can "Enjoy" this or, any other trail?

No. I'm not against trails where there is no possibility of rail use. What I am saying is that there is a serious amount of dishonesty taking place regarding the whole process of converting railroad right-of -ways to trails.
 #1622966  by Douglasphil

And in reality the St John and Lazy Cuss ( Lamoille Valley ) was never very profitable, even back in the Golden Age of railroading . I did get to do a little railfanning up there in the late 1970's and found it to be totally charming and really scenic but I can't envision a scenario where any would reactivate that line .