Railroad Forums 

• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1307093  by deathtopumpkins

kitn1mcc wrote:would be nice to see passenger service return to eastern ct
This proposed service doesn't have anything to do with CT, the Worcester - Providence corridor is entirely within MA and RI.
 #1311514  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="On 1/7/2015 In an article entitled "Woonsocket looks to change zoning to allow train stop on Fairmount Street", SANDY SEOANE of the Valley Breeze staff"]

WOONSOCKET - If a passenger train is coming through the Blackstone Valley, Planning Director N. David Bouley wants Woonsocket to be ready.

Boston Surface Rail Company has proposed establishing commuter rail service between Worcester and Providence, but still needs to conquer a few regulatory hurdles and negotiations with some involved parties.

If they're successful in establishing the new passenger lines, Woonsocket would be home to the train's only additional stop between Worcester's Union Station and Providence's Station Building starting in 2016.

BSRC, a private Massachusetts-based firm, plans to work in collaboration with Providence and Worcester lines, the company that owns and operates the targeted tracks with freight service. The passenger line would run three times a day and would cost around $16 each way, possibly with discounts for regular commuters.

This week, the City Council took a first step toward preparing Woonsocket for the possibility, receiving an ordinance that would adjust zoning laws to allow passenger terminals to be operated in non-residential zones.

The ordinance would permit train stations in areas designated C-1,C-2, MU-2, I-1 and I-2, and in MU-1 zones with a special use permit.

While the change authorizes terminals throughout the city, Bouley said it is prompted by BSRC's hope to create a stop at 85 Fairmount St., the property that held the Alice Mill building before it was obliterated by a massive fire in 2011. The building had been purchased by Steve Triedman in 2010 in hopes of establishing a wood pellet manufacturing business.

Now, Triedman is reportedly in talks with BSRC General Manager Vincent Bono about establishing a station in the Fairmount neighborhood.[/quote]

Read more at The Valley Breeze's web site.
 #1313104  by Tadman

Could you even cover the yearly insurance nut for $3m? Railroad insurance is not exactly cheap, especially for small unknown operators. The reason I bring this up - in 1989 when CSS went under, the owner paid the insurance bill rather than the mortgage and the bank called it. I know the because - wait for it - he posted such here, about ten years ago. He originally did not reveal his identity but his first post in the Chicago forum had certain facts that lead me to believe he was an insider - very much an insider. I asked privately, and he admitted so publicly. Mr. Darling died around 2010 and the above is all public record by his notes.

Anywhoo... I'm guessing railroad insurance is super expensive. Worth figuring out.
 #1342758  by harshaw

I just heard this on the radio this morning. There is a private company that wants to start commuter rail service between Worcester and Providence.

This seems like a bit of a head scratcher. The company is registered to a house in Arlington.

web site:
http://www.bsrc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/08/06/p ... rovidence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/bu ... ster_route" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Umm... best of luck guys?
Last edited by harshaw on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1342785  by MEC407

Are they competing with elevated and underground railroads along the same route? :P
 #1342790  by Cosmo

$18.00 per RT or $12.00 with a prepay system... that's WAY more than "just a little steep!"
What is the price of a comparable distance on MBTA CR?
It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to pay that much for a daily commute, which seems to be what their selling this as.
 #1342798  by Cosmo

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it happen, and I'd love to see it expand to Norwich-Worcester route, but so far all I've seen is study-study-study.
 #1342800  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Oh...that grifter again.

I'd say take the 77 bus to Arlington Center and visit "headquarters" yourself to get the skinny on this straight from the horse's mouth. But "headquarters" is nothing more than a P.O. box in a law office. I walked by the address on a larf the last time I was down that area.

This dude's the spiritual cousin of that other crackpot in Maine who wants to get freight and overnight intercity service going on the Mountain Division.
 #1342811  by octr202

Cosmo wrote:$18.00 per RT or $12.00 with a prepay system... that's WAY more than "just a little steep!"
It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to pay that much for a daily commute, which seems to be what their selling this as.
The price isn't out of line...it's actually lower than the MBTA. A zone 5 round trip is $17.00 on the MBTA CR...and zone 5 is only about 20-22 miles out.
 #1342814  by BandA

Cosmo wrote:$18.00 per RT or $12.00 with a prepay system... that's WAY more than "just a little steep!"
Sounds about right for an unsubsidized service! "T" only covers 1/3 of costs; Imagine if the "T" fares were tripled, everyone would (attempt) to drive

Boston Surface proposed pricing:
$18/43.3mi = 42 cents/mile (cash fare)
$12/43.3 = 28 cents/mile (rate with monthly discount)

By comparison, "T" fares
$5.75/8.14mi = 71 cents/mile (walk-up fare Newtonville-Boston zone 1)
$3.75/8.14mi = 46 cents/mile (express bus Charlie Card Newtonville-Boston inner express bus)
$2.10/>10.9mi = <19 cents/mile (Charlie Card Riverside-Boston subway rate)

$10.50/44.33mi = 24 cents/mile (walk-up fare Worcester-Boston zone 8)

Worcester-Providence is a 46 minute 39.3 mile drive with light traffic according to Mr. Google vs 65-70 minute 43.3 miles via rail, so probably time competitive at rush hour.

1954 timetable from their website: http://www.bsrc.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 1954sm.jpg

What new milestone have they reached that they've put out new press releases? What equipment will they use? Is there a backup move to get to Woonsocket?