Railroad Forums 

• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1288198  by ccutler

I went canoeing on the Delaware and, on a detour on the way home, saw that the branchline tracks to Honesdale were clearly out of service. Is M&E pursuing business on that line anymore? Or is it still washed out?
 #1294041  by Sir Ray

EMDWC6455 wrote:Maybe some good news for the stourbridge http://www.wayneindependent.com/article ... /140919816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Smith said DL&S also hopes to have freight service, yet it is currently unknown what would be shipped"
Oh boy, wonderfully vague (Sorry, but I'm a bit cynical tonight)
 #1295273  by EMD8165

The railroad is a business so a vague reference to possible future business is to be expected. Do you post all of your plans and possible employment opportunities for the public to see? With all that has happened to the SBRR, a little cynicism is understandable but it should'nt be the first reaction to possible good news. The communities need a boost and getting the railroad back to running is a priority. Those of us who are involved have put a lot of work into it so far. Stay positive and be supportive. Better things are coming!
 #1305399  by ehavemann

It sure looks like it''s going to open - on May 9, 2015. There's an article in the News Eagle http://www.neagle.com/article/20141117/News/141119796 on 11/17/2014 to that effect. And a number of merchants I talked to in Honesdale tonight were aware of it and looking forward to it. This weekend was their annual "Honesdale for the Holidays" event including an Open House at the Wayne County Historical Society Museum, home of the full-size replica of the Stourbridge Lion.
 #1306525  by EMD8165

Semperfidelis, I have read your PMs but the board settings are not allowing me to reply. This account is likely too new. Please email me directly at my username @gmail.com. Thanks
 #1306628  by rwk

I was on this train in October 1986, pulled by the BL-2 diesel. The 1986 brochure showed a Susquehanna RS-3 diesel though. Did they ever use a NYSW RS-3 on the Stourbridge? I was 12 at the time. Good to hear it's coming back. On our way home to Allentown, PA we stopped at the train station in Scranton and caught the #2317 waiting at the station. My mom took a picture of my brother and I in front of the #2317. Then, we watched the train depart for Moscow. In Aug 1987 we stayed at the Station motel and restaurant in Wilkes-Barre that recently was torn apart except for the main station, shame if all those old Reading coaches went to scrap. We rode Steamtown from Scranton to Pocono Summit pulled by the 2-8-2 mikado painted in Lackawanna then, now the #3254. it was brand new to Steamtown, came from the Gettysburg RR in exchange for a CP 4-6-2 I believe the one that exploded in 1995. I lost my father March 8, 1986 so he was unable to join us for those trips. But he took us to Strasburg a few times between 1981-1985, we stayed at the Red Caboose Motel, and for a week we would go to Wildwood, NJ between 1980-1983, in 1984 we went to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA and in 1985 the Red Caboose and Strasburg. I have pictures of us from all those vacations and trips.
 #1306839  by EMD8165

Yes, the D&O assigned several RS and S Alcos to the LASB before they bought the NYS&W and adopted the Susquehanna name and paint scheme. A little research online or by reading a few books will give you many examples of D&O / LASB / NYSW equipment on the line.

In other news: the first of many cabooses has arrived in Honesdale by truck. 2015 is shaping up to be an interesting year!
 #1307613  by EMD8165

Thanks John. I suspected as much.

For those who didn't notice: a second caboose has arrived. Several more are expected in them coming weeks, weather permitting. Brush cutting and track work will continue through the winter as will mechanical repairs. 54 is getting a lot of love.
 #1307824  by EMD8165

*in the coming weeks*.. That's what I get for NOT checking my post before hitting Submit.

A third caboose has now arrived and at least one is getting decorated for the holidays.

If you come to Honesdale to see them be sure to do some holiday shopping or have a meal while you're there. The businesses will be glad to see you.
 #1307915  by cjvrr

EMD,

Where are the cabooses coming from? All by truck?

Were they purchased just for the new operator? Or are they being borrowed?

Thanks for the updates. That is a pretty line and I wish them all the best with this latest incarnation.
 #1307925  by mikeexplorer

http://www.neagle.com/article/20140918/News/140919713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excursion trains; freight desired

By Kevin Kearney
TWI Reporter
Posted Sep. 18, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

WAYNE COUNTY - The Delaware Lackawaxen & Stourbridge Railroad hopes to reestablish train excursions by the spring.

"We want to bring the train back bigger and better than it was before," said K.C. Smith, DL&S general manager.

The excursions ceased in September 2012, after 30 years, due to a lack of funding.

DL&S is owned by the Lackawaxen & Honesdale Shippers Association.

The association board this week approved agreements allowing the efforts of the DL&S to restart the railroad, Smith said.

Paul Brancato purchased the local railroad in May of 2008 and hired Morristown & Erie Railway Inc. to operate the line.

Morristown had a 10-year operating agreement to run rail service but pulled out in 2012.

The agreements signed this week puts control of the tracks into the hands of DL&S.

Smith said DL&S also hopes to have freight service, yet it is currently unknown what would be shipped.

"We will look at all credible possibilities," said the railroad consultant.

Regarding the excursions, DL&S plans to use the 25 miles of tracks to run visitors between Honesdale, Hawley and Lackawaxen.

The railroad has multiple plans to run trains between the three municipalities, which should provide a boost to businesses in the three communities, Smith said.

There are still hurdles, though.

The shippers association owns the locomotive and cars.

The locomotive needs work, as do the tracks.

Smith said the work will consider a "significant investment," though he didn't have specific numbers.

The tracks are in good shape, but vegetation will need to be removed. "And it's manageable," Smith said of clearing the tracks.

Local officials and businesses are pleased and optimistic about the return of the excursions.

"This is the best possible thing to happen in the town in three years," said Jeff Hiller, owner of Trackside Grill on Main Street. Hiller said the excursions will attract thousands of people to town.

Gail Tucker, executive director of the Greater Honesdale Partnership, said, "We can't wait for it to come back." Tucker echoed Hiller, saying the excursions will attract people to Honesdale and give a boost to local businesses.

"I think it would be excellent for local businesses," Tucker said.

Shippers board member Donna LaBar, who also is with the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce, said getting back the excursions will allow the entire region to share its natural beauty with thousands of visitors.
 #1308008  by EMD8165

So far, they have been trucked in from western PA. More equipment is coming by rail but that's waiting for some maintanence work to be completed. Some of it is borrowed, leased, rented, bought.. anything to get the railroad back running and bring the tourists back to the area. These last few years have been tough without the trains running. Now it's time to get back to business.