Railroad Forums 

• Blissville Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1302334  by DogBert

CSX, SP maybe? A mixed lot.

Whatever it was doing there, it was gone as of this morning.
 #1305070  by DogBert

Quite a few RR Construction Co. pieces of equipment on site now, at the east end of the yard. All of the yard tracks on that end are being worked on, except the southernmost stub ended track (maybe that'll be lengthened?). It also looked like they're working on the stub track that the old LIRR bogies are on - if I recall right that track was disconnected.

The ballast cars have left the yard.
 #1308385  by DogBert

Mikey - yes you're right. I wonder what will become of it after they leave arch st.

Work at blissville looked like it was crawling along. New switch isn't in but they've cleared old ties and crap right up to where it would go...
 #1309148  by DogBert

As freightguy said in another thread, the new switch is in, maybe 100-200 feet west of bliss 'tower'. RR Construction crew was working at the site when I passed by around 2pm, looks like there's a bit more to do before it's all ready to go.
 #1309187  by mikey cruz

Hey Dogbert do you happen to know how long those "intermodal" bogies will have to stay there till the federal time limit is up?
 #1309306  by DogBert

federal time limit? What's that?

I'm assuming they are going to sit there until someone at the LIRR decides to auction them off for scrap - that is assuming they haven't lost track of the fact that they own them (I very much doubt they're part of the NY&A lease).
 #1309311  by Ðauntless

They were purchased with state bond money, so they could not be scrapped until said was expired, which I think was about 2 or 3 years ago. Shame, half the cars have never been used once..
 #1309361  by mikey cruz

ahh Thanks Daunt, I'm surprised LIRR hasn't scrapped them for some extra $. As far as I know the cranes were scrapped.
 #1309391  by vin5581

The cranes were scrapped. I believe there are more cars in hicksville somewhere along the main line.
 #1309411  by Sir Ray

vin5581 wrote:The cranes were scrapped. I believe there are more cars in hicksville somewhere along the main line.
Correct - here's a Bing view of some intermodal bogies on a siding by the Lilco--LIPA--PSEGLI plant in Hicksville. They've probably been there for decades, leading me to believe that the buildings on the North side of Commercial St. don't get a lot of direct rail service...
 #1309414  by Backshophoss

Believe the state (NYSDOT) has to declare the bogies "surplus",then offer them up for sale at the next
state surplus materials auction.
Then the scrap dealer with the "winning bid" will scrap them.
 #1328884  by DogBert

After a long period of nothing being stored int he yard, the CDEX cars that were at 'wheelspur' are now on the stub-ended track of the montauk cutoff. I guess the RR construction crew did indeed fix up that track for storage.

So on the cutoff - north of dutch kills drawbridge the bogies are still rusting away, south of it the CDEX cars are parked, with the track severed across the bridge.
 #1328915  by Backshophoss

Believe the Montauk Cutoff trackage has been taken out of service,by the LIRR,reportly under the control of
a NY&A Yardmaster at Pond for now.