Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to increase service on CHE and Norristown lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1295681  by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:And I'll say again; bullhockey.

Basically, such a statement precludes any expansion on the Reading side. I find it hard to believe.

Increasing frequencies on the reading side will have to come eventually, as the packed conditions on some trains border on unsafe/you could miss your stop. I think they need to replace a few key substations before they attempt this, though. From what i gather, the reading side is a lot worse off than most people realize.

A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
 #1295683  by 25Hz

BuddCar711 wrote:
braves wrote:The Trenton Line should get half hour service during the middays on weekdays to provide more connections to NJ Transit Northeast Corridor at Trenton since they have half hour service as well throughout the day.
What about weekends?
Yes, and weekends too. Plus, there is more than just NEC trains to connect to at trenton.
 #1295685  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
The only stations not high level on the Reading TRUNK are North Broad which sees limited service, Elkins, and Jenkintown which is a bottleneck. Expect to see Jenkintown first. That is the biggest bang for the buck. That and more SLV's will not only improve OTP but SHOULD speed up line schedules and reduce padding.
 #1295840  by 25Hz

Clearfield wrote:
25Hz wrote:A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
The only stations not high level on the Reading TRUNK are North Broad which sees limited service, Elkins, and Jenkintown which is a bottleneck. Expect to see Jenkintown first. That is the biggest bang for the buck. That and more SLV's will not only improve OTP but SHOULD speed up line schedules and reduce padding.
Mmm, yea i think they needed to wait till that bridge was completed. Supposedly the next bridge inbound needs to be replaced too, so that may delay things or not.

It's like playing chess where the pieces are the board.
 #1295869  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Mmm, yea i think they needed to wait till that bridge was completed. Supposedly the next bridge inbound needs to be replaced too, so that may delay things or not.

It's like playing chess where the pieces are the board.
According to SEPTA:

Jenkintown Station on the Regional Rail Mainline Improvements to the existing station building, and accessibility improvements.
This station will receive new ADA compliant high‐level platforms; new passenger shelters; accessible stairs, ramps, sidewalks and handrails/guardrails; new signage; new lighting; stormwater management systems and landscaping.

Design 2015, Construction 2019 ‐ 2020 $25.32 M
 #1297537  by Trackseventeen

R36 Combine Coach wrote:One other issue about the connector would be the Fox Chase (R8) would have no PRR side companion if the CHW is switched to the RDG side.
Yes it would.... Fox Chase-Bryn Mawr Locals.
 #1297722  by ExCon90

I believe the route R4 was reserved for that service when the R numbers were implemented. (There was a 15-minute headway between Bryn Mawr And Suburban Station "back in the day," with every other train continuing to Paoli -- it would have been nice to see it restored.) R1 was to be Airport-West Trenton; I think CHW was to be paired with Media/Elwyn as the R3, and the designation R8 was to have been retired.
 #1297759  by zebrasepta

i'm wondering if they need more yard space since they eventually will have to order more EMU's in the future and more cars than the current fleet of silverliner IV's and to replace them and also since they're planning to increase service and there's overcrowding issues
 #1297764  by Clearfield

zebrasepta wrote:i'm wondering if they need more yard space since they eventually will have to order more EMU's in the future and more cars than the current fleet of silverliner IV's and to replace them and also since they're planning to increase service and there's overcrowding issues
The rehab of the yard space at CHE was done to make room for cars while SEPTA was taking delivery of the SLV's while still holding the SLII and SLIII cars.
 #1297781  by Suburban Station

ExCon90 wrote:I believe the route R4 was reserved for that service when the R numbers were implemented. (There was a 15-minute headway between Bryn Mawr And Suburban Station "back in the day," with every other train continuing to Paoli -- it would have been nice to see it restored.) R1 was to be Airport-West Trenton; I think CHW was to be paired with Media/Elwyn as the R3, and the designation R8 was to have been retired.
I'd like to see 20 minute service on the main line. an local to bryn mawr, express to Paoli, local to thorndale, local to Malvern, express to bryn mawr, local to thorndale