Railroad Forums 

• Fuelgas Corporation Tank Car w/ LHR designation

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#595966  by Potamus

Atlas Model Railroad Company has just announced the Jan '09 release of two, HO Scale, 11,000 gallon tank cars decorated for the Fuelgas Corporation. Under the "Fuelgas Corporation" name there is an inscription that states, "L&HR RR SIDING CHESTER, NEW YORK". These cars also contained a white diamond logo w/ a red border that contained the name "HOMGAS" in red in the diamond. I have attached below a link to the picture on Atlas's site that shows what these cars looked like.

http://download.atlasrr.com/Images/NFre ... 951art.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these tank cars? From what I've been able to find it appears as if these cars carried Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG) and must have been spotted on a siding in Chester, NY for unloading. Does anyone know where these cars originated and how they got (routing) to Chester, NY? Who unloaded the cars once they were spotted in Chester and where did the LPG go? How long did this type of delivery last (years?)?

Thanks
 #596060  by RichM

I think several of the folks at Atlas are active on several of the forums, as is Marty Feldner who lives up in those parts. If you don't get an answer in several days, you might try PM'ing them. Atlas' reserach is usually top-notch, someone there will at least have photo dates.
 #599583  by Marty Feldner

Sorry- family issues have meant that forum replies had to take a back burner for a while...

Can't give you much in the way of origin and routing information. They were propane tankers; Tom Callan has researched them over several years, and probably had input to Atlas about them. I know he has photos of the cars.

Homgas was a local Chester propane dealer; through mergers, acquisitions, and consolidations, it is now part of Suburban Propane and still at the same location. (One iteration I remember was Pargas.)

They had a siding on the opposite side of the main from the old Chester Lumber; their office is on King's Highway just south of the Quickway overpass.