Railroad Forums 

• NS Manhattan Sub in Illinois

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1291375  by MetraSouthWestServiceFan

Hey guys, i couldn't decide if i should pose this question in the Chicago Commuter Forum or here but I think because my question has to do with freight train operations that it belongs here.

Anyway, I know that Norfolk Southern owns the ex-Wabash tracks that run through Orland Park, IL from Chicago to Manhattan and I also know that there is some but minimal freight service to Manhattan along the Metra Southwest Service tracks. My question is when would I be able to see a freight train? I know that they run through here but I never see them. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
 #1296466  by GWoodle

MetraSouthWestServiceFan wrote:Hey guys, i couldn't decide if i should pose this question in the Chicago Commuter Forum or here but I think because my question has to do with freight train operations that it belongs here.

Anyway, I know that Norfolk Southern owns the ex-Wabash tracks that run through Orland Park, IL from Chicago to Manhattan and I also know that there is some but minimal freight service to Manhattan along the Metra Southwest Service tracks. My question is when would I be able to see a freight train? I know that they run through here but I never see them. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
Best chance when I lived there is the old Wabash Landers yard, now mostly a TOFC. you could start in Worth for the IHB or CSX/B&O track & connection from Chicago Ridge.