Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2014

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1274317  by bwparker1

Adirondacker wrote:The great big pile of rusty rocks is there because they didn't want to ship them along with the titanium ore. It's not worth it to ship rusty or unrusty rocks from the four corners of the globe but Long Island is going to need concrete until the sun turns into a red giant and incinerates us all.
HAH!
 #1279703  by griffs20soccer

It's been pretty quiet here lately. Maybe it's time for a trip on the S&NC. Does anyone have any information on the start of the stone shipments? Is there any information on whether Barton Mines is going to continue or really start to ship by rail? How is the work on #56 coming along? How successful have the 1st runs of the North Creek Shuttle been? Curious minds would like to know.

Here is an article with some information that might prove interesting to some.

http://wamc.org/post/officials-seek-stu ... ek-railway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope the link works.

Have a good 4th of July.
Don
 #1279860  by Mem160

I saw something the other day - maybe it was the Yahoo group or something - about some empty hoppers in Saratoga Yard slated to go to S&NC, and they were stenciled DM&E or something to that affect. Not sure of anything beyond that, Just hearsay on my end.

- Mark
 #1279904  by Old Muley

I stop by the North Creek depot & yard about once a month as I travel through the area.

I haven't seen the 56 in a while. The last time I saw 56 it was parked outside the engine house still in primer. It might be in the engine house.

I have seen no obvious signs of anything being shipped out, no freight cars parked anywhere. The automatic crossing protection between North Creek and Barton's does look active, there are indicator lamps glowing on the relay cabinets. The rag-tag assortment of passenger equipment is still parked on the siding between North Creek and North River. The Upper Hudson River RR Alco is still parked in North Creek along with the 2 Erie-Lackawana painted E units. A few of the old UHRRR coaches left the property lettered for the Colebrook RR. There is still one old wooden coach there with Colebrook RR logos installed and truck work being performed.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, I am really hoping that these guys succeed, but I wonder how this is ever going to work in the long run. CP declining to interchange the stone tailings from Tahawus really sucks. I thought as a common carrier that CP was obligated to interchange. Seems to me that short-hauling it to Corinth really limits the opportunities for the S&NC. I will be stopping in there this weekend. I will try to talk with someone from the S&NC and get some updated info.
 #1280073  by griffs20soccer

Here is another article form the Post Star. The headline and the writing puts a negative spin on the news. It's about S&NC only running Friday-Monday. When they 1st started they didn't run everyday. The article does not mention the dinner trains running every Tuesday during track season.

There is good news in the article about ridership and the start of the stone shipments.

I've also included an article about the start of their North End Local service.

http://poststar.com/news/local/tourist- ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.denpubs.com/news/2014/jul/01 ... ts/?page=1&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish news articles would not include a spin, just report the news.
Don
 #1280856  by Old Muley

I stopped by North Creek on my drive home yesterday and spoke with a gentleman who works for the S&NC.

He said that the #56 was parked in the engine house, still in primer. RS 36 used by UHRR still on property, S&NC would like to acquire it at some point. As far as freight, they are not moving anything from Tahawus yet but things are moving forward.

I noticed that the 2 Lackawanna painted E units had been moved to the engine house. They are parked on the north side of the building.

The coach with the Colebrook RR logos appears to be gone from the property.
 #1281516  by ladder2

Tornado struck North Creek, NY during Tuesday's outbreak of statewide - 3 other tornadoes across NY State. The tornado that struck North Creek was an F-0 which means highest winds were 85+MPH. The NOAA weather stated it was trees and shingles affected. How did SNC fare? Any structural damage to rolling stock or the depot?? We have had some weird weather thats for sure!
 #1285601  by traingeek8223

SNC update 8/4/14: B39-8 and passenger consist at Saratoga Station, BL2 52 idling and receiving light servicing north of North Creek Station, BL2 56 in NC engine house (still in primer), S2 821 on engine house lead coupled to a CP dump car full of stumps and other wood debris, E8s have been moved from the Barton Siding north of the yard to the south storage siding with the S1 and RS36. The RS36 is now one car length from the south stub of the siding (in the woods too). Two cabooses, one business car and the former Upper Hudson open air car (it's self a former D&H Pulpwood car) that was not sold on the Barton siding. Open car has had railings removed and is once again a flat car. North of North Creek at Ordway siding is the previously mentioned hopper cars, twenty of them total, all with DME reporting marks. Photos to come later.
 #1286064  by traingeek8223

Don

I can only speculate. I have doubts the 5 will be used again by the SNC. It is tired and doesn't fit the railroad's needs. There still is the possibility of using it at the mine as a switcher, but that need is not that great, especially when the "road" locomotive can handle what little switch work would be needed. I think they would be happy to sell it, although when my group asked about it a few years ago the price was astronomical (100K).

5019? Who knows? Depends on which party decides to pay the money to fix it. What I've been told is that If the owner fixes it, SNC will lease it. Likewise I hear, through other channels, that the owner says if SNC wants to fix it, he will lease it to them.