Railroad Forums 

• "This RR Crossing To Be Closed For Repair" on the NYSW

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1278568  by Snowmojoe

This evening I drove over the crossing where Sicomac Rd. in Midland Park crosses the NYS&W main, and there was a big sign that said the crossing was going to be closed for repair on or about 7/14/14. Is this a one-time thing or are all the crossings being looked at? I'd say the Newtown Rd crossing is worse than the Sicomac Ave crossing, and probably gets way more traffic.
0624142209.jpg
 #1278785  by Snowmojoe

Well... you were indeed correct. The sign must've gone up some time early Wednesday morning, because it was there when I left for work. Unless of course I'm seriously blind and I just missed it Tuesday night. Either way, it's there - the Newtown Rd. crossing closes for repair on 7/7/14.

What are they doing with the trains while the main is closed for these repairs? Detouring?
0625140809.jpg
 #1282480  by Snowmojoe

They may be working their way up for all I know; seems like all the big ones in my area are getting repaired. The one right here by my house, they cut out the rails, put in those concrete-block grade crossings in, and then welded new rail in. Rails must have gone back in some time today, because this morning when I left for work they were still out. I don't have a picture of the rails out, but I do have a shot of the site right before the rails were cut out.
IMGP3225.jpg
A local came down from the direction of Binghamton about 11:30, so the rails are back in service already.

It looks like the Goffle Road/Wyckoff Ave crossing is next - 7/24.