Railroad Forums 

• Camp cars

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1254646  by DogBert

Simple question - does NS still use camp cars to house rail gangs? From what I've read they are (or were) the last class 1 RR in the US to utilize them.
 #1254718  by 4400Washboard

I am pretty sure they still use them, considering that they dumped $6 million to retro-fit them in 2008/09. But unions and the government could change that in an instant...
 #1255326  by MattW

The month before their yearly South-of-Atlanta trackwork blitz (runs Jan-Feb), I saw a camp train at Armour yard here in Atlanta. I also remember seeing one up in Virginia somewhere, not far from Lynchburg, back in 2012 when I rode the Crescent.

In contrast, CSX seems to like the Holiday Inn Express in my town when they do their trackwork, I frequently see their highrailers and other CSX vehicles in the hotel's parking lot!
 #1255404  by Freddy

Living on camp cars is a miserable existence, especially Seaboard MofW which were converted boxcars.CSX finally got smart and got everybody out.
 #1281716  by BenH

Here's a link to a set of 9 images of the 25-car NS Camp Car train that is currently parked in Northampton, Massachusetts.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26316537@ ... 175001108/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The crew is installing welded rail on the Conn River Line between Greenfield and Springfield.
 #1289874  by tvcigar

Camp cars are currently parked on the tracks near the train station in downtown Greensboro, North Carolina.